53 - The Great Escape

*Aurora's POV*

"Hey mum, how come you're home early?" I asked, trying to hide the fact that I was completely out of breath.

She shrugged. "There wasn't much to do at work and I thought that I'd prefer to spend some time with my daughter instead. Plus, I wasn't feeling that great. What have you been up to, then?" As she hung up her coat and bag, I intensely watched every move. My heart was racing at the fact that Shawn was literally upstairs. In my wardrobe. If he made a sound then she would find out and expose us both.

"I was actually kind of tired so I was going to have an early night," I explained.

My mother nodded. "That's fine, hun. I'll just watch a movie in bed or something."

"Alright, well have fun. Good night!" I smiled, giving her a small little wave before beginning to walk back up the stairs.

"Aurora, are you not even going to give your old mother a hug good night?" she replied, in mock sadness.

I chuckled to myself before walking back downstairs and giving her a quick hug. "Night, mum." As I was about to let go and leave, I noticed that she still had a strong grip on me so I was physically unable to pull away from her hug. "What are you doing?" I asked as she sniffed me like she had just completely lost her mind.

"Aurora, you smell like sex," she exclaimed, letting go of me but still observing me carefully.

"W-What do y-you mean?" I stuttered, completely giving away the fact that she was right. I looked down at the floor so that she couldn't see my blushing face.

"Answer me truthfully, Aurora. Is Charlie upstairs?" she asked.

I looked up at her when she said 'Charlie', a look of confusion on my face.

"Aurora, stop giving me that look. I know that you and your boyfriend had sex. I can just tell."

I gulped. I can't even deny it now but I was still lost for words as to what to say next.

"Is he still in the house?"

I hesitated for a moment. "Truthfully, no," I lied, trying to keep a straight face.

She nodded slowly. "Did you use the condoms I got you?"

"MUM!" I exclaimed, almost dying of embarrassment.

"It's a genuine question!" she retorted, unable to hold back her laughter anymore.

"As a matter of fact, we did," I replied, walking up the stairs so that I wouldn't have to see her laughing face.

"I think I better ought to put you on birth control," she shouted after me.

"Shut up, mum," I groaned before chuckling to myself as I shut the door of my bedroom and walked to the wardrobe. I slowly opened the door, holding a finger to my mouth as an attempt to tell Shawn to stay quiet.

"What's the plan?" he whispered, a scared look on his face.

"We wait until she falls asleep and then you can go home," I suggested. "Will you be okay in the wardrobe until then?"

He shrugged. "Aurora, I'm a tall man. I already have a neck cramp."

"I'm sorry," I chuckled, kissing him on the lips quickly before shutting the wardrobe door once more.

And now we wait.

-----

*Shawn's POV*

After what felt like days, there was finally a gentle knock on the wardrobe from Aurora signalling that I could come out. Timidly, I pushed the door open and tip-toed out.

"I just checked on her and she's fast asleep in bed," Aurora whispered. A wave of relief washed over me knowing that I could finally leave. Unfortunately, there was still a long way to go because this part would for sure be the riskiest.

I nodded in response, following Aurora as she began to quietly walk out of the room. I followed her every footstep as she knew exactly where the floorboards creaked and where I would most likely be heard. The whole time, I held my breath. Normally, I was an extremely clumsy person but today I made an effort to not trip over anything and keep my balance. Aurora intertwined her fingers with mine, squeezing my hand tightly as we walked past her mother's bedroom door. I could hear her snoring softly on the other side of the door which made me internally chuckle because it sounded exactly like my girlfriend when she is fast asleep. Guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

The stairs were, by far, the trickiest part of this whole ordeal. There was absolutely no way of getting down the stairs without the sound of footsteps echoing down the whole hallway. We made sure to step down each step at the same time so that it sounded like one pair of footsteps and not the two that it actually was.

My heart pounded in my chest as we started to get closer and closer to the front door. I sensed that Aurora was equally as nervous judging by how clammy her almost-always freezing hands were.

Somehow, we managed to get down the stairs without making much noise. Aurora carefully unlocked the front door and opened it.

"I'll see you tomorrow, yeah?" she whispered as I stepped out onto the porch.

"Yep. I'll pick you up from Becca's house at 7," I responded, equally as quietly.

"Sounds good," she grinned, looking around quickly to make sure that no one saw us before pecking me on the lips softly. I licked my lips, the taste of her cocoa butter lip balm lingering.

"Bye," I muttered, walking down the porch to where my car was parked. I was finally able to take a deep breath knowing that I was safe and neither of us got caught with each other.

From now on, the only sleepovers we would be having would be the ones at MY house.