35 - She Knows

*Aurora's POV*

I was awoken by a large bang causing me to shoot up from my nap. I was met with an angry looking mother.

"WHAT IS THIS, AURORA?" she yelled, gesturing to the necklace and my phone that she had just slammed against the coffee table.

"What's what?" I asked, confused and still half-asleep.

"If you're incapable of reading it yourself then I'l read it to you," she snapped, picking up my phone and beginning to read out the message. "Did you and your lover get home safe? Tell him thanks for dropping Geoff and I off."

I froze. She knew.

"I want you to explain to me who Geoff is and more importantly, who your lover is. Now," she barked.

What was I meant to say? I thought to myself.

After a few moments, I began to speak. "Umm... well... Geoff is Becca's boyfriend."

"And your lover?" she questioned.

"My... err... boyfriend."

Her eyes widened when I said the word 'boyfriend' and she couldn't help but ask who.

This is where I was stumped. I definitely couldn't say Shawn because she would definitely either tell me to break up with him or go to the police to tell them that her daughter was dating her teacher. So, that left me with no other option but to lie. Again.

"... He's called Charlie."

It was between Charlie and Cody. If I said Cody, then it would be difficult to try to persuade him to pretend to date me without revealing why he would need to do that. Plus, Shawn would definitely be pissed because Cody and I had drunkenly made out. On the other hand, Charlie would definitely help us out because he knew about me and Shawn anyway but Shawn probably wouldn't be very happy about it. 

"And why didn't you tell me about him?" she interrogated however her tone became softer and she sounded less annoyed.

"Because ... he doesn't go to my school, mum. He's older. Just like Becca's boyfriend. They're both 25."

Her jaw dropped when I said 25, she was clearly shocked that I was apparently dating someone 7 years older. Well, I was but not Charlie.

"Did they go on holiday with you and Becca?"

I nodded slowly, feeling incredibly guilty because of the look of disappointment in her eyes.

"Did you two have sex?" she asked all of a sudden.

"What?! No! No. Definitely not, I can promise you that," I gabbled, shocked beyond belief.

She didn't look as if she believed me completely but this time I was actually telling the truth. There was an awkward silence after I had said that which felt as if it was going on for hours but probably only was a couple of minutes.

"... I don't know what to say, Aurora," she finally announced. "I'm disappointed in you for hiding it and I've completely lost all trust in you ... but at the same time, I want to meet him."

I gulped. "I don't know... He's really busy."

She shook her head. "No, Aurora. I want to meet him. Invite him for dinner this Friday. 6pm."

I guess that meant that I have no choice. I reluctantly nodded but I knew that this was going to be a difficult task.

-----

"Hi Aurora!" exclaimed Becca as she saw me approach my locker the next day at school.

"Hey," I replied flatly. She cocked her head slightly, confused by why I was so bummed.

"I mean, I know it's the first day back and all, but you're not normally this depressed," she joked.

I explained what had happened yesterday and Becca was beyond shocked and guilty.

"Have you told Shawn yet?" she asked, grabbing some books from her locker.

I shook my head no. "You need to," she responded, stating the obvious. "When do you have English Lit?"

"Third lesson right before lunch," I groaned, I was dreading the conversation Shawn and I had to have.

Becca chuckled. "Well then, good luck." At that exact moment, the school bell rang and Becca and I had to walk to opposite ends of the school to get to our lessons. She had Art whilst I had Geography. Concentrating on any lesson was going to be a difficult task.

-----

I normally loved Shawn's lessons, we would exchange glances at each other when no one else was looking and even the lessons were actually kind of fun however today I couldn't even look him in the eyes at all and spent most of the lesson looking down at my desk. I feel like he could sense that because when we were writing essays in that lesson he would constantly walk past me and linger near me. When the bell rang I slowly put my things away into my bag and waited until everyone left before straightening up and turning to Shawn.

"Aurora, are you okay?" Shawn asked leaning against his desk.

I took a deep breath and walked to the front of the class where he was standing. "My mum knows," I gabbled.

His eyes widened. "About us?" he exclaimed.

"Ish. She knows that I'm dating a 25 year old .. but not you," I replied.

He raised an eyebrow, clearly not understanding what I had just said so I explained the whole story and how I told her that I was dating Charlie because it was easier than telling the truth or getting someone from school to be my fake boyfriend.

Shawn clenched his jaw but reluctantly nodded. "I guess we don't have a choice but to go with it. Do you want me to give you Charlie's number so that you can arrange it? Or you could come to my house after school and I'll invite him round," he suggested.

I shrugged. "I feel like it would be better if all three of us talked about it because I don't want you feeling like I'm in some way betraying you by pretending that he's my boyfriend."

He nodded. "Good, so why don't you come round my house at 5 and I'll make sure that he's there."

I smiled. "Thanks, Shawn."