Chapter 6

A few days went by and no one mentioned Elijah, Elijah himself had disappeared...but today, he came back for some reason...maybe its for Ross's birthday party...not for me...I watch him walk across the yard the lawn right outside, his dark brown fur, dirtied by the lifted earth he trotted upon. I want to speak to him...I want to say something...but I just can't approach him...all I can do for now is watch from afar.

"Josilus!" my best friend calls, nearly jumping onto my shoulders.

"Ah-! What birthday boy?"

"I was just gonna tell you, Elijah wants to talk later."

"L-later...later when...?"

"He said he'll tell you when." At the sound of that, I begin to feel extremely nervous.

"Um...okay. Did he say anything else to you?" he ask him.

"No. He just said he would come find you." Ross sighs. "That guy is mysterious, I tell ya. He came up out of nowhere."

"I know...he went missing after that day he asked me to meet him outside..." I say timidly.

"I heard he went to consult with some allied packs."

"Really? Why didn't he tell someone?"

"Must've been something your father wanted him to do that he couldn't have told you."

"Why wouldn't he tell me? I'll be the next Alpha." I try to defend my case.

"You're not of age yet and also, you're his son. He can't tell you everything," Ross explains to me. I huff and roll my eyes.

"I hate this two sided bullshit."

"Don't worry Josi . I'm sure it'll make sense one day." Ross pats my back. I scoff.

"Yeah...one day." I walk with Ross out to the pack grounds where his party is being set up.
"Looks like they're almost done."

"I'm so excited! I bet your birthday party is gonna be so much better though. You are the heir after all. Packs from all over the country are going to be after the twin heirs. Especially you, Jos." I start blushing.

"Please don't remind me..." I rub my temples and sigh.

"What?! Come on, you're famous! For both good and bad reasons but, there are Alpha males who want you and females who would love to have you as their Alpha and mate." I scoff again.

"All I'll ever be is a trophy...something they're happy to claim theirs just because of who I am. Some Alphas want me for all the wrong reasons. I heard one wants me as a pet!"

"You're exaggerating. No one would do that."

"Oh Ross...you're so naive..." I ruffle his hair, "and you're supposed to be the older one." I walk to the patio.

"H-hey! What's that supposed to mean?!" He whines and runs after me.

-hours later, the party begins-

Ross and I are eating snacks out of a bowl and drinking from a punch bowl. Everyone seems to be having fun.

"So Ross, how does it feel to be a man?" I tease him.

"I feel great! I've got honey's eyeing me left and right, everyone is lively, happy to be here...except for you. What's on your mind, Josilus?"

"I....okay. If I tell you something, will you promise not to say a word to anyone?" I look at him with pleading eyes.

"Yeah, what are best friends for? Now what's the matter?"

"We need to be somewhere private..." I pull the boy into the bushes and start whispering to him. "Okay...the day before Elijah...disappeared, he tried to kiss me...I don't know why, it never occurred to me that he liked me like that...but I clearly rejected him...impurity to my body just won't work with my mate...being what I am..."

"Wow...I told you he likes you! He doesn't see you as a little brother or anything. In human years it might be kinda illegal until your birthday but shit dude, YOUR CRUSH TRIED TO KISS YOU!"

"My crush...? Is that what this is? I don't recall it being called that..."

"Fine then, your dream-husband. Whatever, you like him! A lot!" I blush.

"I suppose I do..." I smile, looking off to the side.

"Your birthday is in a couple of days now. If he's your mate, I bet those wet dreams of yours are gonna come true," he winks at me. My eyes grow wide and and face becomes super red.

"How the hell did you find that out?!" I scold him, smacking his arm.

"Ow! You know Jru tells me everything you don't tell me."

"I'm gonna beat her up later..." I scowl.

"Who cares? Elijah is into you and I bet he's been after that sweet ass for a while but is starting to tease you since you're almost of age." I stare at Ross for a long moment before turning away.

"This is ridiculous. I'm gonna go find Jru." I walk away from him, looking around for my sister when I bump into something...

Dammit! not again!

"Come with me." Elijah grabs my arm, pulling me to the side of the house.

"E-elijah, what's going on?"

"There's something you need to know."

"What? What's going on?" I lean against the house, crossing my arms.

"You remember Darius, right? From Clint Wood Pack?"

"Y-yeah...what about him?" I tilt my head slightly.

"On your birthday, he and someone else in his pack are coming...I know they're coming for the worst reasons. Try to stay away from Darius especially, as much as possible. If anyone from his pack tries touching you, you scream and I will be there to rip their fucking dick off or unhinge their fucking vagina, okay?" I grimace at the images in my head.

"Yeah..g-got it..." I've never seen Elijah like this. He sounds angry but in his eyes, there's worry...that's what surprises me...There's fear. If Elijah's scared, something is definitely wrong.