Chapter 2

As I approach my father I don't dare to look directly at him.

"Walk with me," he says. He doesn't sound angry with me, which was a good sign. I turn back for a moment to shoot Ross and Jru a fearful look before staring ahead.

"You'll be 18 in five days. As heir, there will be a party that you have no choice but to attend."

"Y-yes dad." I nod. Any objections would be my head.

"Good. We need a plan. You will most likely find your mate. If not, we will do a search for your mate. The quicker we find your mate, the quicker you will be the leader of this pack."

He's rushing this whole thing a lot... Brel complains.

"Do I really have to become Alpha right away?"
My father shoots a glare at me with a menacing growl.

"Yes you do. You wanna be seen as a weak little bitch still or do you want to be the Alpha you were destined to be?"

"I-I..." I clear my throat, putting some bass into my voice "I want to be Alpha..." I say to him.

"That's what I thought." He grunts, satisfied with the response. He leads me to his office. Once there he offers a seat. Of course, I take it. "When you find your mate I will give you a few days to adjust and then you will officially become Alpha. I have taught you well in the ways of commanding this pack so I expect nothing less than what I've done."

"You separated me from my sister for this?"

Bad choice of words! Bad choice of words! Brel cowardly protests in my mind. My father growls again but this time refrains from snapping at me.

Oh thank the goddess.

"I have more to discuss with you. Since you are...ya know, both sexes, you are susceptible to having more that one mate. I'm not sure how it will go but I'm hoping that your preference of a partner will help guide that." My father sounds almost...sad as he talks about this.

"Dad...are you worried about me becoming Alpha...about me growing up?" He shoots a look at me, a little bit more softness in his eyes this time.

"Of course I am...you're my son." He smiles at me. He smiled.

Oh my goddess he actually loves us. My father hasn't smiled like this since me and Jru were children.

"I will be alright. You raised me well, you and mom...well, her advice to you helped..." I take his hands for comfort.

"I just...I just worry because of what happened...what if someone else tries to-"

"Dad..." I stop him, "I am strong because you raised me not to let horrible people bring me down. I know you're tough on me for that reason." I squeeze his hands and he gives me a reassuring squeeze back before pulling me into a hug. I never thought I would see the day when my father got sentimental. "I love you daddy...thank you for raising me right."

"Alright. Go back to your sister now. Don't tell her I got all soft on you now." he ruffles my hair before sending me off.

We're totally telling her he's a softie.