"Don't say that Katniss! You're not going to be picked! Sto-"

"MUM!" I yell. I try to calm myself down for mum's sake, holding her cold and still trembling hands in mine.

"Why do you think Erica put all of the victors back into the reaping bowl? Although I'm not certain, most likely I'll be leaving you today.

"That doesn't mean I won't fight hard to get out of there, it just means that my priorities will be on getting to my friends and keeping them safe. Just please, please don't fall apart." By the end my voice was barely a whisper.

She takes a deep breath in and holds back her tears, smiles gently and holds onto my right hand.

"Well I'm ready as I'll ever be. Let's go, Hazelle and the kids are waiting for us."

We walk down to the main square with Hazelle, Rory, Vick and Posy in silence. As I look around the frightened expressions on children's faces saddens me. They cling onto their parents' hands as if its all they have left, their lifeline. The older kids walk stiffly beside their torn up parents, trying to look un affected by the ceremony.

"I have to line up now, I'll see you later." I give mum a long hug because I think she knows deep down that she won't be seeing me for a while, or ever again.

"Bye honey, see you after." She gives me a weak smile and wanders off to where Hazelle's standing; amongst all the worried parents.

I get my finger jabbed and walk over to my designated area, amongst all of the older girls. Everyone quietens down as Effie Trinket walks on stage with her usual pink hair and big smile.

"Well hello everyone, welcome to the 76th Hunger Games!" she says joyfully. No one cheered, and I think I even heard someone snort. She cleared her throat and continued.

"I have a new video for you to watch, from the Capitol." A massive screen appears at the top of the stage and I turn towards it. I can't believe she thought of making a new video since  no one pays attention to them.

Erica's smiling, pasty white face appears on the screen. Her blonde hair is cut to a bob and her grey eyes light up.

"As you all are aware of, this is the start of a new Hunger Games. A new era where everyone can feel safe and happy without having wars right on your doorstep. The past is the past, and we need to move forward and accept the world we live in and maintain the peace in our cities."

"Like she gives a crap about maintaining peace," I mutter under my breath.

"By re-creating the Hunger Games, it's showing that you can't be weak to survive in this world. That you need to fight for what you want. The main point of it though, is to punish those who have caused chaos in our society. If we do that, we are guaranteed to live happily and peacefully for the rest of our lives.

"Everyone's name is written once in the bowl and the papers have a different amount of force pulling towards them. The more force pull towards your name the more damage you've done to our society. When your District's tribute escort drops their hand into the bowl they'll pick out the names of people who most deserve it. Finally, may the odds ever be in your favour."

The screen turns off and most people are still staring at it in wonder while some, like me, are frowning. I honestly didn't think she'd stoop that low. 'The more damage you've done to society' translates to 'the more you were involved in the rebellion' in her head. Or maybe that theory is only used towards me.

Effie walks back on stage holding a note and a small glass containing clear liquid.

"I have just received a note from the Capitol saying that everyone must drink this. It has powerful medicine in it to prevent everyone from developing sickness."

Quite a lot of people are still sick in District 12 even though most people can pay for medicine but it's strange that the Capitol wants to help out.

"It's now time to pick out the tributes for District 12." I focus on Effie again as she turns toward the bowls.

"Ladies first." She dips her hand in and tries to resist her hand pulling towards a certain paper. She picks one out and her smile fades.

"The female tribute for District 12 is," She holds her breath.

"Katniss Everdeen."

People start... cheering? This never happens in District 12. I slowly walk up to the stage and stand next to Effie who gives my shoulder a quick squeeze.

Come on Katniss, stay strong.

"And now for the male tribute." she plasters her signature fake smile on her face and reaches into the other bowl. She pulls out a name and seems confused.

"The male tribute for district 12 is Rory Hawthorne."

-

Cliffhanger :) I'm going to update as soon as possible

kat xx