Chapter 8: Blowing Smoke

Start from the beginning

"You know I won't let you do it alone though." I mumbled.

"I know. Now please go." She tried to smile.

I sighed, "Fine, but please stay here tonight. And if he calls, block his ass. As a matter of fact, gimme the phone." I held my hand out.

She didn't argue, just passed it. I stuffed in in my purse. "I shouldn't be out too late. There's ice in the fridge and some Advil in the medicine cabinet."

"Go, you're wasting time."

I threw her one last worried glance and locked the door behind me.

Downstairs I immediately spotted Khyree. His curls were tucked into a white baseball cap and he wore a black bomber jacket over a plain white t-shirt, black jeans, and black timberlands.

He was also leaning against a red Camaro. I approached him with a skeptical look on my face.

"This a rental?"

His hat covered his eyes so all that I saw were those two shallow dimples as he grinned at me.

"I was about to dip, but you was definitely worth the wait."

I bit my lip to keep from grinning back. "You look nice." It was hard for me to say. I was so accustomed to our rude banter by now.

He turned around to get back in the car and I threw my hands on my hips. "So you weren't going to open the door for me?"

"Yo arms broken?" He retorted.

I glared at him and got in the car. Just like that, I couldn't stand his ass again.

"Where are we going?" I loved the interior of his car, the leather seats felt smooth and I stroked them in awe.

"Issa surprise." He replied.

There was still a frigidness that hung in the atmosphere between us and I stared out of the window as he kept on.

Not too long later we were outside of a building that read 'Inhale' in neon pink letters. I narrowed my eyes. "What is this?"

"Come get yo boujee ass out the car and find out." He said simply. This time he came around to open my door and I gave him a dirty look before following him to the glass doors.

As soon as we got inside I noticed that there was smoking going on. People were in little sections that were divided by curtains, laughing and talking while they puffed on a little pen that was attached to a tube.

The place was bathed in purple lighting and Indian symbolism
was prominent throughout the room.

"A hookah bar?"

"You ain't never been before?"

"Once." I scanned the room while Khyree talked to who I assumed was the owner. We sat down in one the sections and I ordered a cranberry vodka.

"You actin' like it's some sort of anomaly, loosen up Adrienne." Khyree chuckled as I turned the pen around in my hand.

"I think that's the biggest word you ever used in my presence." I quipped. I took a puff and let the vapor escape my lips not too long after that.