Chapter 8: The night after

Candle's POV.

I sat on the small balcony of the upstairs bedroom. Four of us slept out in the loft and the other 3 slept in the room. Even though it could fit in like 7 people in the bedroom. The moon was big tonight and the stars were brighter, well at least to me.

I had my glasses off, I didn't need them before. Most of the time, but it's been getting worse. My mom wore glasses and so did Dad. I couldn't go to sleep, so I slipped outside. Even though it was still in the middle of winter if felt good. The cold always got to me, but tonight it was one of the those rare days where it wasn't cold. I still wore a sweatshirt and my pants reached down to my ankles.

Everyone who was asleep in my room were hard sleepers and wouldn't hear me. I had Sapphire and then in the loft in our room had Gabe as its visitor. Mara and then were in the loft overlooking the living room and kitchen. I know complicated, right?

The balcony was small and was only meant for one or two small people. Tonight I came out to think, and that was exactly what happened. My mind was wondering. About that battle at the school. We had damaged every hallway except for the ones on the third floor. And other ones that we didn't fight in. I mean you can't break a wall 16 walls away from you. But each floor had it's own damage on it. I sighed I didn't want to know how much it would cost. Years, I thought to myself.

Years of saving and paying it back. We have no money and no home really. Well Irene and Creg would take us in. They won't mind, but would we live long enough to see the day?

I looked at the Man on the Moon, he was smiling down on me tonight. I wish tomorrow won't come. We were planning to leave that day, we couldn't risk any more attacks on the students and/or teachers and Staff. The women at the desk had been knocked out cold by some masked person.

Then the door creaked. I gasped and turned my head around. I couldn't see much, everything was fuzzy.

"W-who is there?" I asked choking a little on my words. The creak shocked me just a little.

"Hey, don't you know it's me?" the black figured said. I knew that voice, Gabe!

"Oh sorry, you probably don't know. My vision, it's getting worse. I just needed them because I failed a test when I was young, but I never really wore them. They were-," he cut me off.

"They were on the table next to the latter. I know I saw them. They were orange, I knew they had to be yours. No one here or that I know wears the color orange more than you," he smiled and put them on me. I felt my eyes widen, I say perfectly.

There stood Gabe, he was smiling down on me. And then he sat next to me.

"What are you doing out here?" he asked.

"Oh, well, um... I couldn't sleep," I looked down at the concert. The balcony was concert on the bottom and a metal fence surrounding it. I guess it wasn't used so much.

"That's new, you are always passed out on your bed the minute your head hits the pillow. And you also yell in your sleep, did you know that?" he asked and snickered under his breath.

"I heard that," I said and half-heartedly punched him," And no I didn't know that. How loud do.. I yell?"

"Um lets see. One time you woke up half of the house," he laughed full on.

"Hey," I punched him for real in the arm.

"Ow! OK, I had that coming. But why are you really out here?" he asked.

"I told you I couldn't sleep. Not after today," I looked behind me, biting my lip.

"I know how you feel. Those kids, in the room, they were all crying. Even some of the boys and we're in 8th grade. They have never seen supernatural power. For you guys at least. I am just good with a sword," I looked into his eyes. They glowed in the moonlight, but it took some nerve to say that. His eye almost looked like they would break.

"No!" I said sternly. He almost looked a taken back," you are a part of our team. You have a gift with the sword, not just a gift. But a blessing, like all of us. We could call it sword bending or something. But you are not just good with a sword, you are a bender of the sword."

"B-but, Candle-,"

"Nope, you except it alright. I am your girlfriend. My words are law," I looked at him with a cocky look," well most of the time," I laughed and he laughed too.

"Ok, ok. So if you call this sword bending, then I should be able to make a sword right?" he asked.

"Yep, we will find you some place where you can do that. And while we're on the subject. I want to learn sword bending. I am the Avatar I have to learn how to bend all the elements," I folded my arms.

"Fine, but then you have to promise that you won't go off and kill your self. Got it, if you kill your self then I can't see you," He said sympathetically. I felt heat in my cheeks, and looked away. I was glad it was dark, I don't blush in front of him. I just don't do it.

"Yeah, I guess you're right about that. You have to promise not to be stupid and go out to try and save my butt. Got it, or then you'll have a sword to your throat," I laughed, he laughed along with me.

"Fine. I swear," he putting his arm over me. I felt hot again and I looked at the moon. For the first time that night I was glad the moon was smiling.

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Vote, Comment, and follow.

- @artemis1919