One Last Dance

Chapter 32: One Last Dance

Stories are like the wings of a butterflies, fragile things, made of nothing more than twenty-four letters and punctuation marks. Or are they words on the air, composed of sounds, expressive visuals, and concepts. Abstract, invisible, gone once spoken. What could be frailer than that?

It was a struggle, a scuffle of nails, teeth and pulling of each other's clothing. How I had gotten into this situation eluded me, perhaps it was a story for another day...

With great intensity, I drove my arms forward in an attempt to free myself. However, I found myself grasping for nothing as I fell forward slamming my head against the wall.

"Oh crap...Oi, titless!"

I heard his voice as if it came from a great distance. My lashes lifted but all I saw were a shower sparks. I felt arms go around me as I sank into layers of grey softness.

I woke in what felt like moments later fighting with the haze around my head.

"Ugh! oww oww oww....Ayato-kun....you jerk!"

I grumbled to myself as I rubbed my sore wrist that hurt from Ayato's grasp. My eyes wandered around the room, which felt familiar yet at the same time so foreign. The books that lined the walls in were multicolored each of the books untouched. The room smelled of paper, yet not the musty smell of worn books.

  "Umm, huh...? "

I stood, quietly surveying the room. Everything is the room had a sense of belonging, not a thing out of place.

"Who goes there?"

A voice sounded from my left, it was a youthful higher pitched voice.

  "Uwaa!"

Startled I jerked my head to the left, my eyes met with the cherry irises of a petite raven haired boy. He was wearing a white dress shirt, black vest, pants and red tie.

His body bristled with tension, he stood upright glaring at me with transparent bewilderment. The way he held himself held a faint resemblance to a young black feline. I could even picture its agile body arching upwards, and with this curve in its back, it would release a sharp hiss in warning.

  "...How strange... Who are you? Respond at once, or else. "

His voice hadn't wavered once as he voiced his warning yet, you could see the apprehension in his eyes.

I quickly responded to him, " R- Reiji-san! It's me...! Yui!!"

His brow's furrowed slightly as he placed the edges of his knuckles against his chin in thought. It took a few moments for his face to relax.

"Yui? I do not know you." He said confusion clearly written on his face.

" Eh!? "

  (What's going on!? I mean, this person...is probably Reiji-san, right?)

Reiji let his shoulders drop as a heavy sigh left his lips, " ...I do not know where you came from. But do hurry and leave."