In Deep Waters

Chapter 30: In Deep Waters

  If you stop to muse you'd have an appreciation for the capacity the human body has for pleasure. It is pleasant to dine, to see, to touch, to smell, to hear, and to copulate. The whole body is susceptible to pleasure, but in places, there are wells that may be drawn upon in greater quantities. But not inexhaustibly.

How long is it possible to know pleasures? A rose is desirable, but the nose becomes habituated. I was drunk on his love, surely, I would never sicken of it.

Sweat was rolling down my face as my legs desperately careen me forward haphazardly, in tune with my pounding heart. The sound of pursuing footsteps echoed my own. They stopped as a hand grasped my forearm, there was a great deal of strength making me wince.

"... ...Tch... ... You are such a troublesome woman. " The man grimaced as he continued to hold on with his gloved hand.

He had a head full of ruffled strawberry blonde hair and sharp golden eyes like that of a snake. Silently he observed me through his teal glasses, one of his eyes covered with a black eyepatch. When he pulled me closer I noticed the gold chain pendant with a red coffin on it around his neck.

Drawing even closer he growled out, "Do you think I'll let you run away? "

I squeezed my eyes closed in appreciation but became puzzled as nothing happened.

"Could you please release her? "

Reiji-san!!! Is it really him? It can't be that he really came for me

The man abruptly released me his mouth turned into a frown. He did not reply, however from his expression I could tell he thought it was beneath him to respond. He promptly turned and left, leaving me standing to stare at his retreating back.

I glanced at him as we walked, under the moonlight, his body seemed to be cloaked in ancient everlasting ice. His movements were graceful and sinuous as he stalked forward leaving me lumbering beside him to keep pace. The way his head tilted as he gazed at the sky with his ruby red eyes seemed distant and forlorn. Yet, when his gaze turned to me with a smile on his lips, it knew it to be a guise for his evident anger.

" I'm sorry Reiji-san, it's because of me that you had to trouble yourself and chase after me.."

My gaze fell to my feet, I wiggled them slightly in remorse.

" Is that all? Is there anything else to say? " His tone was flat and detached.

" I was told that you wished for me to remain in the castle but despite that, I've done this at my own convenience. "

He turned to face me with a pause, " That is indeed true. Honestly... It wouldn't have been very good if I had arrived later, what would've happened to you? "

I felt a warmth spread over my chest at his words. My lips pulled up into a slight smile, yet my chest still burned with guilt.

"I'm really sorry. "

" Haa... well, I guess its ok, this time we managed without problems. If you learned from this I hope you never do something reckless again. "