Bonus Chapter: Flashback One

Excuse any mistakes. I went ahead and wrote this flashback while it was fresh. It'll probably be two therapy flashbacks, I'm not sure yet. Enjoy

New Orleans, Louisiana
Therapy

———————

"Khari, you really need to open up and communicate." Dr. Reed looked at him. "Your wife is here doing this with you. That tells me that she's, at least, willing to listen. She's willing to work this out, but you're cooperating. She asked you a question that I hope she is prepared for." Her eyes fell back on Malia, whose eyes were puffy and a little distant.

   Malia looked at Dr. Reed before turning back to Khari. "I am. I want to know why."

Khari cleared his throat, not sure if he could tell her why. He nervously fiddled with his fingers, not really making eye contact. The room fell silent for a minute before he began to speak. "Lia, please don't make me say this." He mumbled.

   "Tell me, Khari. I want to know. I want to know why you went back to Karmen time after time. Yes, I know she had an abortion, but that wasn't the only reason." Her voice was getting louder the more she talked. She was speaking from a place of heartbreak and you could hear the pain in her voice. "I know you loved her, just say it."

Shaking his head immediately, he finally looked up at her. "No, I didn't. I never loved her. I always loved you, you were the only love of my life. She didn't have a chance."

    Malia seemed to be confused, and unconvinced. "So, why cheat?"

He winced in pain, rubbing his temples. He was starting to get painful headaches from the incident that happened. He was almost cleared to return to the court, by the grace of God. The headaches would be a lifetime thing though according to the doctors. "I can't." He looked at Dr. Reed.

    Standing up abruptly, Malia had enough. If he wasn't going to put any effort into their therapy sessions then why should she? "Then, I'm leaving." She grabbed her clutch, and headed for the door.

"Ok, ok." He stood up, going to block the door so she wouldn't leave. Dr. Reed just watched, not wanting to interrupt the moment. This had been their third therapy session and the most progress they had made which said a lot. Khari was hesitant to tell Malia the truth because he felt like it would only make things worst. However, he had to learn that it would get worst before it gets better.

Malia folded her arms, and looked Khari right in the eye. She didn't say anything which was a signal for him to continue talking. Khari scratched the back of his neck, a habit he picked up when he was really nervous. "I wasn't satisfied."

"Satisfied with our marriage?" Malia questioned.

Khari shook his head no. "The marriage was great. We work well together." He leaned his head back against the door, and closed his eyes. "The sex..." He sighed, and opened his eyes. Malia blinked her eyes a few times, trying to register what he'd said. "I wasn't satisfied in bed."

In an instant, Malia's body language changed. She moved back to the sitting area and sat back on the couch with her head hanging down. Khari cursed under his breath. "Malia." Dr. Reed called out, but she didn't look up. "How'd that make you feel?"

This time it was Malia was fiddled with her fingers. She was hurt, to say the least. It was at that moment that she regret even asking the question. Malia was a virgin before she met Khari, and hadn't had any experience. He was her first, but he never complained about it. It made her wonder has he been faking all of this time.

It really hurt because it was something he could've told her. He could've taught her how he wanted to be pleased. Instead, he went back to the person who already knew how to please him. A few tears escaped her eyes, and Khari attempted to comfort her. However, she pushed him away and he just looked at her, feeling like he'd just really broke this woman into pieces. She got up again to go look out of the window that gave a view of downtown New Orleans.