Kamari Rashaun Valentine

Christmas morning...

——————————

——————————

I was up early, way before anyone else. I couldn't sleep at all. I tried to get my mind off the pills by taking a morning run. Looking around the neighborhood, I knew I was home sick. I missed being here with my family and I wasn't sure if I could make it in the NBA. It was my first year and it was giving me hell. I crashed into my rookie wall hard. I was playing horribly. Everyone was calling me a bust, comparing me to my dad. The pressure was beginning to be too much.

I couldn't tell my pops that, though. I didn't want to disappoint him. I also didn't want to disappoint my mom by taking those pills, but I needed them more than she knew. As I was making my way back to the house, I waved at a few neighbors who recognized me. I wiped my face with a towel, sighing a little.

When I made it back to the house, I opened the door seeing that it was still quiet which meant that everyone was still sleep. I made my way up the stairs, going to my room. Farrah was now up, getting dressed. She glanced at me before focusing back on what she was doing. I looked at her and sighed. She was upset with me because I had lied to her. I told her that I would stop taking the pills, but I just couldn't. I did for a day, but ended up taking them again after that.

"Can you not be mad at me, at least right now? It's Christmas." I asked.

She grabbed her makeup bag, and scoffed. "Don't I have a right to be mad? You lied straight to my face." She walked around to get to the bathroom, but I blocked it.

I gently grabbed her arm, pulling her into me. She let out a breath, but didn't protest. Wrapping my arms around her, I lifted her chin so she could look at me. "Look, I'm sorry baby. I really am. I shouldn't have lied to you, at all."

Folding her arms, she shook her head. "Correction, you shouldn't have been taking the pills."

"I'd like to talk about it when we get back to Detroit."

She let out a chuckle. "Kamari, you don't get to choose when I talk about it. You brought the conversation up by talking. I'm pissed the hell off. Because you're the one who made it adamant about us always being honest with one another." She pushed her finger into my chest. "That was you."

Running my hand down my face, I sighed heavily and stepped back. "What the hell was I supposed to tell you Farrah? 'Hey babe, um, I'm addicted to sleeping pills.'"

She shrugged a little, leaning on the wall. "That's the first step in the rehab process so it would've been a start."

"I'm not addicted." I moved around her to get to my suitcase.

"According to your brother, you've been taking these pills since your freshman year in high school. Baby, you need help." Her tone turned gentle as I quietly looked through my luggage for an outfit. When she didn't get an answer, I heard her sigh. "Well, I'll tell you this. I can't compete with a pill and I won't."