Ryan Tierra Valentine

Manhattan, New York

———————

My mom, Donovan and I were out shopping in the streets of Manhattan before my mom and I went to meet my dad for lunch. She finally decided to have a sit down with him, and I hoped things went well. I really didn't want them to argue, just a civilized conversation between two adults.

   I moved past people with my arms folded to create heat, not really wanting to be here right now. I would have liked it better if it was just my mom and I. I didn't like Donovan nor was I attempting to fake like I did. I looked back at the two of them in disgust and shook my head. My mom deserved better.

I headed into Cartier's jewelry store, just to look. "You see anything you like?" Donovan came over to me. I looked at him, not noticing that they had followed me in.

"My daddy already bought me these." I rolled my eyes and walked away from him. I sat down on a bench inside the store, losing myself in the group message with Ascaria and Scarlett. Out of paranoia, I would glance around me every now and then. It always felt like Sean was there, watching me. Somehow, he had convinced me that he didn't rape me. I had believed him, too. That was until I kept replaying the whole thing in my head. No had meant no.

My mom attempted to brush the whole situation under the rug, but my daddy wasn't having it. He called me everyday to check on me, like he usually did. But, this time I was more open with my feelings since he made things comfortable for me. He asked me about how things were at home and I had to be honest. I was raising myself. He was pretty pissed. There was more I had to tell him, but I decided to wait until the three of us had a sit down. It had been a while since my mom and dad actually sat face to face with one another.

I went to snapchat seeing the twins post a picture with Ms. Malia. If you didn't know them, you'd think they were sisters. Like they say, black don't crack. The three of them were doing a photoshoot before they joined daddy here in New York. My performance was tomorrow and I was hella nervous. Not because I had stage fright, but because my mom and Ms. Malia were going to be in the same place.

"Ryan." I looked up seeing my mom and Donovan moving towards me. "Are you hungry?"

"I'll eat when we go meet daddy." I blinked.

She looked at me like she wanted to say something, but decided against it. She shook her head at me. "Your mom is just tryna spend time with you." Donovan looked at me.

"Then why are you here?" I asked.

"Because he's going to be your stepfather so you need to be around him more often." My mom said and I looked at her in disbelief.

I folded my arms. "You didn't even ask how I feel about you marrying him?"

"I'm grown, Ryan. I can do that. Once you start paying some bills, then maybe I'd consult with you on matters like this. You're about to graduate anyway." She shrugged.

"Wow." I simply stated and nodded my head. Getting up from where I was sitting, I headed out of the jewelry store. I didn't want to cause scene or anything like that. I was upset, though. She basically that my opinion on the man she chooses to marry is not important even if he's going to be in my life. Ever since granddaddy died, my mom changed. She just distanced herself from me, spent more time with Donovan and neglect her duties as a mother.

If I wasn't graduating this year, I'd begged my daddy to take me back to LA with him for good. I was over New York. The weather matched the vibe in our house, bitterly cold. When I was around him and my sisters, I felt in place. I didn't even ask to be here.