𝟚 - 𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝕆𝕟𝕖 𝕨𝕚𝕥𝕙 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕃𝕚𝕝𝕪

Start from the beginning

"Meet at the rendezvous point by 2pm. If you don't show and we don't hear from you, we come in ready and armed." I said firmly. "Not a minute more."

I waited for a verbal confirmation or a nod of agreement from each of them before relaxing enough for them to walk past me.

"Lance, let's go!" Tyler called, covering the ground with a bit of Gralin to mask our scent.

"Good luck." Johnny said, giving a brotherly kiss to my forehead.

I gave each of them a sentimental parting, ridden with worry as they left my grasp one by one. The unsteady feeling in my stomach only worsened as I watched them walk down the mountain steep.

They'll be fine, Gray. Breathe. My wolf tried to convince me, though I could feel her worry just as prominently.

I know they will. I tried to convince myself, though I couldn't stop the intrusive thought that followed.

Will they?

~

I was standing outside the house, the cold wind rushing through my hair and nipping at my exposed skin. My hands were gripping my backpack straps tightly, my stomach twisting anxiously as I scanned the outside of the building as thoroughly as I could.

The windows were cracked, some broken. The wooden house seemed to nearly shake at the harsh wind, the trees surrounding it looking as if they'd fly away at any second. The mailbox was full of countless mail and newspapers, some of the loose papers lost in tide of the wind. I plucked a nearby envelope from the blades of grass, analyzing it carefully to see if it had a name on it.

Nothing.

I grabbed another one, seeing this one already ripped open and torn.

Nothing.

I searched through every letter, every package, trying to see if any of it had a name.

None of it did.

I clenched my fists angrily, throwing a crumpled envelope against a nearby tree. Another dead end to add to the list. But I was sure of one thing.

Someone else had been here.

And I knew exactly who it was.

I made my way into the house with the renewed desire to pick apart everything I could find, making sure to pick up my feet so they didn't drag on the ground and attract any unnecessary attention. My hand grasped the brass doorknob, twisting it gently to check if it was unlocked.

It was.

I stepped into the house, eyes peeled and senses dialed to the max as I moved with slow caution. I inhaled deeply, maneuvering around corners and creaky steps to remain unseen. Seeing as there were no unfamiliar scents, I decided that it was safe to shut the door behind me. The reminder of the unsettled feeling I bared all day made me sigh, deciding I had no choice but to take extra precaution. I knew I'd regret this later, but it was better safe than sorry.

I hesitantly lifted my hand, shutting my eyes as I felt the familiar tingle ignite in my palms echo up to my shoulders scatter down my spine. Feeling the familiar rush of power course through my veins, I carefully felt for any signature of body heat that would emit from a living being. Almost as if I could see into every room with just the shut of my eyes, I allowed my almighty ability to analyze the energy of the vas space around me.