𝟙𝟙 - 𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝕆𝕟𝕖 𝕨𝕚𝕥𝕙 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝔽𝕠𝕠𝕝

~•~

~•~

I'd already mapped out what I was going to do everyday for the rest of my time here.

1. Spend more time with the boys.
2. Get to know the pack members more.
3. Get to know Sherri.
4. Start building a food inventory for when I need to leave.
5. Know Caleb a little more.

My time here was limited. I could already tell we were going to stay longer than our promised two weeks and I knew me staying in one place was getting more dangerous for not just myself, but everyone around me. I couldn't endanger innocents over a battle that was mine.

Knowing that the boys had settled here made it easier to think of leaving. Knowing Johnny had found his other half and could grow old with pups in a steady home. Knowing Tyler had finally found rhythm in stability. Knowing Lance could at least sleep at night without worrying about his family being ambushed once again. Knowing Jordan has a safe place to shift when the time comes and that he could grow up in such a great environment. I could leave peacefully knowing they could build a life here. A good one.

I could even leave peacefully knowing my mate didn't want me.

All odds of me and Caleb's relationship were pointing South. I wasn't pursuing him, he wasn't pursuing me. We had a silent mutual agreement that it'd be better off if we rejected each other without having to say it out loud. It hurt, yes. But it was better than the alternative.

I was sure of it. I cast all doubt I had as just a false sense of hope. If he wanted me, he'd be here right now.

I just didn't expect him to actually be standing here before my eyes.

Adorned in a hoodie and a pair of comfortable sweatpants, he still looked as tempting as ever. It was unfair how attractive he was in such simple clothing. His hoodie hugged around his muscled arms deliciously, not to mention the gray sweatpants. I could feel the blush arise on my cheeks before I could stop it.

I rose from the comfort of the rocking chair, clearing my throat as I made my way towards him. I stopped just a few feet away, needing the distance to keep from giving into temptation.

"Alpha." I greeted respectfully, my nervous hands tangling themselves behind me as I tried to keep myself from openly staring at him.

"Gray." He nodded back in acknowledgment, his Adam's apple bobbing as he swallowed.

Stupidly attractive. Stupidly.

"I want to-"He cut himself off, as if struggling to say the words. "I want to apologize for my lack of presence the past week." His deep voice filled the space around me, numbing out my common sense.

I gulped. "It's okay."

I cursed myself for acting so fidgety, trying to get a grip.

"I realize that we didn't get off on the right foot." He began, clenching his jaw. "I was hurt that you ran from me. I dealt with that by trying to make you feel what I had felt every day for those 6 months. I realize I have been foolish and that my actions were childish."