𝑷𝒓𝒆𝒗𝒊𝒆𝒘

Two lovers lie behind the fading light of the Autumn sun, hiding meekly beneath the shadows of the willow tree rooted firmly at the cliff's edge. The sound of crashing waves against the rocky edge nearly unheard as the two lost themselves within the confines of their own little world.

Two eyes fought to find the gaze of the other, two hands held as one, two noses brushing together in one of the most innocent notions of affection. Three beings occupied the small space on the cliff yet only two hearts were left beating.

The woman placed her bloody hand on her stomach, the crisp material of her white sundress crinkling beneath her stained fingers, carelessly tainting its symbol of purity with the cruel touch of life's hand. Though her heart was now shattered to dust, she couldn't help but cry out in relief as she felt a gentle kick against her blood-soaked palm.

She sat knelt before the unmoving body of her fallen lover. Her hand was desperately intertwined with his as she pushed forward to press their foreheads together, nudging her nose gently with his as she cried. She trailed a shaking finger down her mate's cheek, eyes following the direction of his lifeless gaze. The wound on her wrist still burned, coming with it a fresh image of him trying to desperately suck the poison from her very bloodstream. The reminder of the retched ambush that so suddenly took her lover's life away made her wolf howl in agony. The overwhelming pain searing through her heart at the loss of her other half had her collapsing against her lover's body.

Her head has lain against her mate's firm chest hundreds of times previous, yet this time she could no longer feel the soothing rhythm of his heartbeat against her cheek, the very one that had always made her troubles fall into nothing. Her trembling hand wrapped his unmoving arm around her, grasping him tightly as to savor the feeling of comfort and solitude before she would lose it forever. Her wails is grief were loud and full of anguish as she mourned the loss of her partner, careless to the fact that her enemy could circle back to finish her off at any second now. That would just be generous at this point.

As she grieved the love of her life, his last words rang in her head, a last dying promise she agreed to though she was no longer sure she had the strength to fulfill it.

Take care of Gracie. He choked out as his veins began to darken into a deep shade of onyx.

I can't do it without you. She cried to him in return. Please don't go.

I love you, so so much. He mumbled breathlessly as his eyes began to droop shut. Tell Gracie I love her.

I will, baby. I will. She sobbed into his chest, desperately savoring every last thump of his slowing heartbeat.

Tell her about me. He begged as the rise of his chest began to fall slowly. Don't let anything ruin her.

Don't go. Was all she could choke out through her tears.

Don't cry, my love. He coughed through the burning in his throat, eyes still full of love as he looked up at the grace that was his soulmate, wanting the last thing he saw before embracing death to be the most precious thing he once had. Life got us this time but I'll find you in the next and we'll get the forever we deserve. I promise. He began to choke as he fought for one last breath of air, though soon after, his chest stilled and his hand went limp against hers.

And just like that, life had changed entirely for the newfound widow that lay messily sprawled upon the unmoving body of her fallen lover. A day that began so beautifully had ended with an ambush by an unsuspecting enemy and the tragic death of her soulmate. Hadn't the circumstances of her unborn child and the pack that stand defenseless back at her territory, she would have taken her mate's dagger and joined him in the mystery that was our afterlife. But hearing the steady heartbeat of her offspring reminded her of the duty she was still cursed to bare.

She leaned down once again, unsteady arms trembling from the horrid events she had just endured. Her nose gently met her lovers once again in an innocent notion of affection, eyes screwed shut and the tip of their noses dancing rhythmically as heavy tears trickled down her cheeks. She held his face gently within her trembling hands, preparing herself to part from her lover and leave him to rest peacefully for eternity.

"We'll get the forever we deserve." She mourned. "I promise."