Chapter Thirty-Three* Home

Start from the beginning

"You don't have to do anything, Ruth, Vicky and my sisters have gone to pick up food, and the others are sorting the rooms out. You don't have to speak to anyone or do anything, let us take care of you."

"Thank you." was all I said as I walked to my room. Looking around at pictures of my parents and, the room was a happy space where I remember the exact moments my parents had nearly killed me from doing something stupid like throwing a house party, or getting arrested for the 6th time in a row. Oh how I miss them. I knew I was still pretty tipsy so I locked my door and took a quick shower. Once refreshed I changed into a black dress and placed both my moms and dads chain around my neck and hid it. I could hear a lot more noise now, people talking, some crying and some running around (obviously any children on the base).

I left my room and walked towards the living room, but as I did I analysed everything. Every picture in the house, every ornament and all the furniture. Grabbing a bottle of water I downed it and looked out my kitchen window. Blake, Linc, Nessa and the rest of the teens who were at Vinnie's were all chilling out back, some were kicking a ball around whilst the others were in full conversation. I knew I hadn't spoken to Linc or Nessa much on this trip, but they knew I wouldn't be up for talking as it was a lot to take in, which is why I was grateful to have them here. Smiling I made my way to Derek and the AWOL FAMILY.

"Alex."

"Hi..."

"We are sorry for...."

"No...don't. Just don't say anything. I lost my mom and dad; you've lost your sister, brother, and son. You have every right to be here, you're Skyler's and Phoenix family, I can't take that away from you. I can't imagine the pain you are all feeling...." As I spoke calmly tears formed in everyone's eyes. "It's just a shock to see family here when my whole life it was just my mom, dad and I. But am I going to say this, just because you are family with them does not mean you're my family. Sure we are related by blood but I don't know you, I don't know any of you and I don't know if that was my parents fault, or yours or even mine, whatever the reason ... im open to getting to know you, but right now it's too much for me, so please when I ask for space and time, just give it to me...respectfully." I finished and smiled at the bunch.

"Oh Alexandra..." was all my 'grandma' said as she burst out in tears and pulled me in for a hug. Sniffling I hugged her back and went along with the night. A lot of people sent their condolences, some cried and others tried to mask their loss with stupid dad jokes. The night had quietened down as everyone had now eaten and was settled down all relaxed on the couches inside. Some were sat on the floor whilst others were seated on the couches. Making my way into the living room again from the bathroom everyone was quiet. I walked to the middle of the room and starred in the mirror. Something was different here. Looking directly at the mirror I knew it was out of place as my head usually wasn't that tall. As everyone watched I knocked on the mirror to test for where it was dense. As I knocked the middle I could hear a slight change in sound.

"Fuck sake dad, why have you always got to hide stuff in random places." I laughed and picked up the lamp which was sitting on the fireplace. Unhooking it I stepped back and smashed the mirror. This caused everyone to jump up and start asking questions.

"Shut up..." I urged as the room once again fell quiet. Moving the glass and breaking some parts off again, I noticed a safe lodged in the wall. Looking at it, it wasn't like your average safe. There was no keypad therefore no passcode. I analysed it and instantly knew what to do... let's just hope it works. Placing my hand on the door handle I heard a faint click and it opened up, smiling I grabbed the box from inside and sat down with it in my lap as everyone watched confused.

Pulling out a letter I smiled and read it out loud.

"To our beautiful daughter, Alexandra Phoenix Hunter. We don't know when you will read this, either a special day where we will give it to you when you need it the most or maybe a birthday but we thought we would write you a letter explaining a quest we will send you on whilst we are not with you. We have written 10 letters for all the milestones in your life, some are placed around at home and others will come naturally. If you find them, read them and DO 50 PULL UPS..." the last part was obviously scribbled by my dad which caused me to laugh the tears away. "Like I was saying, read them and you will know what to do. But right now we just want you to know that we love you to the moon and back, you changed our lives so much and we couldn't be more thankful to have such a beautiful, brave, intelligent daughter. We love you so much and we hope you find peace in your future and reach all your dreams with your head held high. Anyways this letter is getting too long now and you are getting home from school any minute now so we are going to hide and scare you when you get back, inside this box is a video we made for you as well as a song I wrote for you, play it loud and proud. Love you eternally, Mom and Dad."