Ch. 23: "Brothers to the End"

Start from the beginning

"No! I don't have one, you know this!"

"How would I know?" You ask as he swats your hand away, "I wouldn't know if you had a girlfriend or not, could have some secret lover or something." You shrug, your mood suddenly dipping into sadness.

-Mark's PoV-

I stutter slightly, my hands starting to sweat a bit so I rub them against my thighs.
My heart is beating so hard that I could feel it against my ribcage.
All I seem to be doing is getting more and more flustered as I stare at her, I don't know what to do or say. I keep opening my mouth, willing words to come out, but I end up just letting out air and closing it again.

But why?
Why do I feel completely helpless when I'm around her?

"Well," I sigh, completely defeated. "I don't."
You like her, I think, that's why. I felt like I was battling with my mind and my heart, but the one thing I do know is that whatever this feeling is, it's about Y/N. "But I uh, I do like som-"

"Oh, great." Y/N suddenly cuts me off, looking off into the distance. I follow her gaze until I notice some guy walking up to our table. "Here we go.." She mumbles.

"Well, look who it is!" The man smiles at Y/N, completely ignoring me. I narrow my eyes slightly, watching him closely.
"It's the most beautiful woman I've ever laid my eyes on."

Y/N rolls her eyes a bit, smiling back at him, "James," She waves her hand at him. "Come on, cut it out." She stands up and steps aside to give him a hug. "Flattering will get you places, but not the places you'd like to go."

The man chuckles, keeping is arm wrapped around her waist after they part away from their hug. I clear my throat and slap on a polite smile. I stood up, straightening the front of my suit as the man, James, looks over at me. His smile falters slightly before he suddenly moves a step away from Y/N.

Yeah, that's right buddy.

"Oh, I'm sorry." He says with a slight chuckle, "Did I interrupt you two love birds or something? This your date?" He asks as he looks at her.

I wish.

Y/N smiles softly at me, extending her hand out towards me. "Mark, this is my cousin, JD. JD, this is my roommate, Mark." She introduces us while he offers to shake hands, I shake his hand firmly.
When we let go, he pulls his hand back a little bit faster than someone normally would, and he tries to subtly shake it like he was in pain.
Okay maybe I shook his hand a little too tightly. Oops?

"Nice to meet you." I nod.

JD suddenly ignores me and turns his attention back to Y/N, "Tell me," He smiles at her. "How have you been? Uncle Dom told me you moved back to LA."

Y/N nods a bit, "Yeah! I've been doing pretty good," She says, "It's nice being back in LA, but it's changed so much since the last time I was living there. But I'm living on the other side of the city this time." She sighs contently. "Ever since I moved into Mark's, it's been a whole new adventure."

I silently sit back in my seat, letting the two catch up. I glanced around the room, seeing people mingle and laugh, some had forced smiles on and others looked just downright bored.
Little kids were running around now, causing amuck, which made me smile.

Even though I seem like I'm not paying attention to the two, I'm still listening in. Curious as to what would be said next, I try to tune the loud commotion around me so I could concentrate on what they were saying. I feel bad about it, but I just can't help myself.