20. why him?

"So, how did it go?" Hermione asked, still standing at the door frame. "Close the door" he said dryly, Hermione nodded and headed straight to the kitchen to put the bags down. "I'm sorry I bothered asking about it. I mean, it was pretty obvious. I-I am so sorry" she nervously chuckled, putting out the apples on the bowl.

Draco sat down emotionless, not knowing what else he could do. Did he want Pansy back? he wasn't really sure anymore. Despite wanting her to come here and talk, there was something in him that made him forget that he had ever wanted her in his life again.

"I'm going to track down days of your transformation. So I'd be ready when you need me." she said.

"What?"

"Uh, my christmas stay is done now, Draco. I think it's time we head back to our old routine?" she said, walking back upstairs. "I'm sorry. About Parkinson. Really, I am." she pursed her lips, as she continued going up to the library.

"it's not your fault" he echoed out.

As soon as she got to the library, she quickly shut the door, breathing out with her forehead rested on the door and her eyes closed. she was starting to feel like she was stupid. but in a different kind of way she didn't understand.

Draco on the otherhand, laid back at the couch, his wounds were just slowly starting to heal. He looked over at them and realized that all of these wouldn't have happened without her. Hermione was his only hope of feeling okay again. She didn't just help him heal the wounds, but she also healed the insides of him that, before was a cold vast of oblivion, now a warm, cozy feeling.

Hermione to him felt like home. But now he doesn't know what to do. He wants her to stay, but he didn't want to make her look like a caretaker anymore. Something else was seeping through his stomach like it was flipping.

Hermione had packed up her bags as soon as she had jotted down notes for when she can come back. Then even before leaving the door, She heard the knob click open, making her head snap back at it.

"sorry for taking so long, i was just about to leave" she said, walking over to him with her bags in her hand. "anyway.. i'll be seeing you every after transformation" she bit her lip.

"Why would you come back if you know I can kill you? You know you can leave whenever you want to, why'd you stay?"

"why do you ask? you know it's because I did the vow right?"

"no, not just that. what I meant even before christmas. you were so fed up with me, but you still come back" silence. "why?" he whispered, not even realizing that both of them are only a feet apart from each other.

She was frozen. The only thing she had done was look back in his beautifully unbelievable grey eyes. She wanted to speak. But the butterflies in her stomach couldn't handle it. Then, without any warning, Hermione quickly leaned in to his lips. It was a good two seconds, until she pulled away and immediately took upon regret on what she did.

it took him a few seconds to process what has happened, Hermione may had pulled away, the stain of her lips stayed in his.

"Hermione..." he finally spoke. "falling in love with me wouldn't change who I am now, if that's what you think."

"I know that, I'm not stupid!" her guilt started to make her cheeks flush in red. "I'm not expecting you to feel the same way. But that shouldn't stop me from taking care of you" she continued.

Then, there was an awkward pause between the two. Draco wasn't expecting anything from Hermione, and it completely caught him off guard.

"I'll send you a letter. I can't go missing this time. They'll think I'm up to something" she quickly said, bringing her bags with her as she walked off.