Chapter Forty Nine

Rumena's P.O.V.

America.

Here we come!!

We told the news to Inayah this morning and now they've all gone holiday shopping to Westfield. I had booked a vaccination appointment today for the me and the baby to be safe during the visit and to prevent any illness.

I had to drive by myself but I guess it was okay. I was happy that everyone else was enjoying.

Unusually it was a quiet road today, Saturdays were normally so hectic! I thanked God for the luck and drove on.

The traffic light ahead of me turned red and I attempted to press down on the breaks and slow down but it was jammed. I frantically steered the wheel and smashed down the breaks but nothing happened. Instead I was jolted side to side furiously along with the car. I had lost complete control and I was continuously praying aloud.

The screeching of my tyres were deafening as I clenched my eyes shut. My head throbbed, I couldn't move my legs and all I could do was hope everything would come to an end. My body was vigorously shaking - how did it come to this?

Listening to my heartbeat banging in my chest, I looked at my hand. 

Blood oozed out effortlessly.

****

My head raged as the sounds of footsteps came closer. I slowly opened my eyes and a bright light blinded me. Trying to focus my vision, I squinted my eyes at the surroundings and saw three worried faces staring down at me. 

I tried to sit up but I couldn't feel my body.

"Rumena..how did this happen?" A voice breathed with pain in her voice.

I recognised the voice but couldn't quite make it out.

Opening my mouth to speak, a feeble moan escaped my mouth. My words weren't coming out. I felt hopeless. My head was still aching and my body was in pain. I wished the world would swallow me whole.

Hamdan's P.O.V.

Ring ring. Ring Ring.

Private caller?

"Hello? Who is this?" I asked.

"This is Hannah speaking from Muller Hospital. Mrs Rumena K is in critical care. She was involved in a car accident this afternoon and we would like a family member to come to the hospital right now."

My hands trembled.

"Wait, sorry what? Rumena? No.. how?" I cried over the phone.

"Please sir, it's important that you come now." And she ended the call.

Inayah, who was standing opposite me, looked up at me and raised an eyebrow.

"What happened to Rumena??" She asked worried.

Ignoring her question, I rushed outside to the car and I could hear Inayah's footsteps following. We both jumped into the car and I sped off.

"What happened Hamdan?" She asked again.

I wasn't in the mood to talk and I gave her the 'not in the mood to talk' face.
She understood and kept silent. I could hear her murmuring prayers under her breath and I smiled for a second. She didn't even know what had happened but she was still praying.

Finally arriving at the hospital we found her bed. She had a distant look in her eyes as she tried to focus her gaze on us.

"Rumena..how did this happen?" Inayah gasped.

No words came out from Rumena's mouth as I sat beside her and held her hand.

"Everything will be fine. I called Tauhid and the rest of the family. They'll be here soon." I said forcing a smile.

It was as if my sister didn't recognise us. She seemed hesitant to keep her hands locked with mine.

A doctor came into the room and greeted us politely.

Inayah stood up and asked,

"Is Rumena okay? And what about the baby??"

I had completely forgotten about the baby. It had only been a couple of days since we had known about her pregnancy and I wasn't used to it.

"Yea doctor how is the baby?"

"We don't know anything yet. We still need to run some tests and then we can know whether they're both safe. But as of right now both mother and child are in intensive care. It's very difficult to prevent a miscarriage in this situation but we will try our best." 

______________________

Nooo what happened!!!

Comment

Vote

Share