Where the heart is

AN: someone requested this 2334543 years ago, I'm sorry for taking so long buT HERE YOU ARE! x

-

In which Niall and Harry are step-brothers and go through the years.

Where the heart is

-

Harry is 5 (1/2) when his mum decides to remarry a guy named Bobby Horan. 

He believes Bobby to be nice enough with his kind blue eyes and Irish accent, but the problem is, that he has a son. Bobby's son is a brat, that is all Harry can think of when he meets the other boy for the first time. Niall is is name and Niall is foul-mouthed, loud, bubbly and over a year older than Harry.

He's in school already and has so many friends, Harry is sure he wouldn't be able to count them even if he could count past 3 already. That many friends. They're all older than Harry, too, and they don't talk to him when Niall invites them over, because he's 'just a baby'. Harry doesn't think he's just a baby, because, only one year age difference, right? Okay, a little more than a year, but anyway.

He thinks Niall and his friends are stupid and mean and he tells his mum that he doesn't want them to come over to his house anymore.

Harry's mother smiles slightly at her son's big pout and pats his hair. "It's alright, hun, I'm sure if you ask them if you could play with them, they'd say yes"

"But I don't want to play with them, they're meanies! Especially Niall! I hate Niall!"

"Sweetie, hate is a big word, you're sure you hate your brother?", she asks gently and continues caressing Harry's hair.

Harry crosses his arms in front of his chest. "He isn't my brother, mum, not really"

-

Harry is almost 8, when he finally finds a real friend at school. He isn't good at talking to other people and making friendships, he isn't like his step-brother, who just walks up to anyone with a huge smile and talks to them. Harry doesn't envy that character trait of Niall, of course not, Niall is still stupid and rude to him, still saying that Harry's an infant.

Zayn is different than Niall in every way possible and Harry thinks that that's the thing he likes most about the dark-haired lad. Zayn is chill and cool and mostly only rolls his eyes when Harry trips over something from time to time instead of laughing at him.

He asks Zayn to come over to his after school, he wants to show-off his new and best friend to his family and particularly Niall.

Before he lets Zayn meet Niall, though, he warns the tanned bloke.

"Niall is stupid and mean and an idiot, yeah? Don't let him befriend you, you'll regret it!"

Zayn frowns and nods earnestly, following behind Harry and entering the house.

Bobby is in the kitchen on the stove and cooks something that looks like noodles and Bolognese sauce. Niall is nowhere to be seen. Maybe he's out with his friends playing football or something, Harry hopes.

"That smells good, Mr Horan!", Zayn says politely and Bobby turns around to the boys.

"Oh, thanks!", the man smiles and nods. "You're...?"

"That's Zayn, Bobby", Harry quickly explains. "He's my friend from school".

Bobby hums and smiles at Zayn. "Lunch is ready in a few, you boys can go into Harry's room or ask Niall if he wants to play football or something, yeah? I'll call you when lunch's ready"