Goodie Two Shoes

In which Harry's Mr Popular and Niall is the new guy in town

Goodie Two Shoes

Harry has a nice smile and nice hair and he also has a nice personality. He's a nice guy, he really is. 

All about his life is rather nice: his family, the house he lives in, his friends, his neighbours, his girlfriend of three years, literally everything is nice. 

And this is enough for him, he doesn't need more, he's satisfied. 

It's not like he doesn't care about the poor people in the world at all, no, no, he does care, he does. He cares more than other people. He donates. He works voluntarily for charity. He never litters. He once saved a kitten from being drowned and it's enough. He does enough for this world. He's only 19, he doesn't need to do more, does he? He does more for this planet than other people his age and older. 

His girlfriend always tells him that yes, indeed, he does enough, he's a good person, a really, extraordinarily nice human being and Harry has to agree with her. Her name's Rachel and he loves her dearly because she understands him and she also understands his way of living. 
What's there to not understand anyway? He lives peacefully, never gets into trouble and he has good grades. The teachers love him and it's enough. Certainly.

Harry has a lot of friends, it'd take hours to count all of them. There are Louis and Zayn, his best mates, also Liam, who's great at being mature, Taylor and Kendall, who are both really nice and really pretty girls, Josh, who doesn't care much about anything and Harry doesn't exactly see him as a close friend, but sometimes when no one else's there, he hangs out with him anyway, there's this 'gang' of four people: Ashton, Michael, Calum and Luke, who are a bit younger than Harry, but he considers them as cool anyway and many, many more. 
Harry loves people, he does, he's a nice person. He likes every single one of his friends and they like him because well, what's there to not like about him?

Rachel tells him that he's the most popular bloke around and yeah, he probably is. He's not seen anyone more popular than him and he isn't even part of a sports club or anything.
Well okay, to be honest, he's got a membership of this golf club, but let's say he's not part of a cool sports club. He likes playing golf, though. It's nice and he definitely likes nice things.

It's all fun and games in Harry's life until a new guy comes into his town and messes everything up. 
The new guy is too noisy, too blonde, too Irish and too freaking ridiculous. Niall, that's his name apparently, sweeps everyone off their feet in a matter of minutes. Niall is a darling, he is, a lovely lad, cute and all rosy cheeks, pink lips and big blue eyes. He looks like an angel and yes, Harry can see why everyone takes a liking in him but he doesn't want to see that. 

He wants to stay the good boy in town, since he's a nice person and he's been there from the start. There can't just come a bloke from Ireland, laugh one time and everyone loves him. That's not fair, Harry's worked for his popularity so hard and he won't let a stupid boy take it from him. 
Harry deserves it, he does, he's nice and he deserves all the attention he gets. Used to get.

So, when Niall comes up to him and smiles at him with this confusingly dashing smile, Harry just glares and narrows his eyes. "You're playing a game, Niall, and one thing is certain: I won't let you win", he whispers in the blonde's ear and then, to fool all his friends and neighbours, he smiles at the smaller boy and hugs him. Harry is nice, he is, but that doesn't mean he can't be clever and the tiniest bit devious.

Niall doesn't talk to Harry again after their encounter and Harry's glad about this. What he isn't glad about is, that everyone still loves Niall. More and more. It's not okay, Harry doesn't like this, even Rachel thinks Niall's a nice lad and no. No. Harry is nice, Niall is a stranger and a popularity-thief.

Harry makes up rumours about Niall and yes, okay, admittedly, this is not a nice move of him but one that has to be done. He does lack in ideas, though, so the only rumour he can think of is: Niall is a closeted gay. 
The rumour spreads around like wildfire and soon everyone knows about Niall's little 'secret'. 

The problem is, that nobody likes Niall any less after that, if not, they like him even more and apparently the rumour is true. Niall is indeed gay and Harry is speechless. He also feels kind of guilty but he's not going to admit that.

A few days after Niall came out, the blonde walks up to Harry and wants to talk to the curly-haired bloke. 
"I know you spread the rumour and-", Niall begins and no, no, Harry does not want to talk about this, he does not. He does not want to face his problems. 
To stop the Irishman from talking, Harry does the only thing he can think of in that moment: He kisses Niall and if his life has not reached the point of a bad teenage romance novel at this point, he doesn't know anymore. What he does know is, that Niall has nice lips and Niall is also a guy and the funny thing about that is, well, Harry doesn't care. He doesn't care that Niall is a boy, nor does he care about his popularity at that moment and he also doesn't care about his girlfriend. He just kisses Niall and he stops caring. He can't even think about disliking the blonde anymore.

He starts caring again after Niall pushes him away forcefully and wipes his mouth on his sleeve. "What the actual fuck, Harry?!", Niall shouts and looks at him flabbergasted. Harry can't explain, he can't, he's a nice guy, kissing is nice, he cannot explain, so he runs. He runs away, ignoring Niall's shouting and he can't. He's done. He doesn't want.

It only takes a couple of days for Harry's life to change completely. Rachel breaks up with him and yes, he knows he deserves it and honestly, he isn't all that sad, his friends are now more Niall's than his and his neighbours shoot him nasty glares because he dares to be mean to goodie two shoes Niall. Even Harry's family is a little bit colder to him than they used to be. He's down and he just wants to sleep all day and wake up to realise that all of this was just a dream.

Harry wakes up and no, it was not a dream, but he also wakes up to blue eyes and blonde hair and he's confused. "Niall?", he croaks out, sitting up from his bed, which he hasn't really left in days and then he stares at the Irishman fumbling around with his fingers on the edge of his bed.
He doesn't ask what Niall is doing in his room, it doesn't matter to him, he's just exorbitantly aware of Niall's lithe body being so close to his own.

"I think you're a nice guy...", Niall says then after a short silence, sighing a little and yes, Harry knows that, Harry knows he's nice, it's a common fact. "...beneath all of your confusing act"
And yeah, Niall's right, Harry has been acting a bit strange lately but it was just because of, well, Niall. Niall messed everything up, Niall's the problem. Harry wants to kiss him again just to look if that could solve all the problems he's having currently.

"I've also never played a game, I didn't know and still don't know what you were talking about, I'm just me. Just plain old Niall from Ireland, who probably always falls for the mean guys, who'll just break his heart", he continues and doesn't look into Harry's eyes once. 
Harry feels uncomfortable and awkward and scratches the back of his head. 
"I'm sorry, Niall. I won't. I-I-- I'm so, so sorry", he apologises then and reaches out for Niall's restless fingers. He interlaces his own fingers with Niall's and it's quite nice, it is. It is nice and Harry likes the feeling in the pit of his stomach when he's touching the blonde. He's never felt that with Rachel. Never. It's strange but good, oh so good and oh so addicting. He wants to hold Niall. Hold him forever.

Niall finally looks up and his eyes meet Harry's and it feels as if it's the first time they've looked at each other. They smile shyly and drop they glances down to their intertwined fingers.
"I thought you hated me", Niall whispers and Harry nods.
"I did", he says and he can see the blonde's shoulders sink. 
"But I don't. Not anymore", Harry quickly adds, pulling Niall closer to him and this is all so new, all so new but yet so nice, yet so nice. He doesn't waste a thought on Rachel or anyone, to be honest, when he leans over to peck Niall on the lips and Niall doesn't bring up anyone either. It's not important at that moment, it's not. It's nice, just nice and they can talk about everything later.

Niall's probably confused, but so is Harry and maybe they'll figure it out, whatever this is, however this came to be and wherever this is leading to. Harry doesn't care for the second time in his whole life and maybe just being nice isn't satisfying at all.

***
AN: dedicated to @radioactive_laughter because she's so, so nice and so, so sweet! :) I hope you like it.
I also decided to dedicate every new One Shot to somebody who leaves a very nice comment or who requests one :) Ah yes, you can do that, by the way! Leave prompts, I'll do them! :)) xx