Come and take a walk with me

In which Niall is a hybrid and so are the other boys, well, except for Harry, who's just plain human

Come and take a walk with me

"Hey Louis, do you think he'll come today?", Niall asks, sitting on the forest floor while he casually munches on yet another nut. "I mean, it's Sunday today, isn't it? He'll come, right?"
Louis next to him sighs and leans against a tree stump. He looks at the small boy out of his sly, stormy eyes and starts grinning widely but not without a hint of mischief. It's just they way he is, Louis, as a fox. 

"Of course he'll come... he comes every Sunday for a walk in the forest, doesn't he?", the fox hybrid says then and scurries over to Niall, to wrap an arm around his shoulders. "You gonna talk to him today?"
"Hell no!", Niall shouts and frowns at Louis, trying to squirm out of the other one's grip. "He'll think I'm some kind of monster. Me, with my fluffy tail and these ears... he'd hate me... he'd be afraid of me!"

"Bullshit. That's just how you are. You're a little, cute squirrel. I'm sure he'll love you just as much as I do. As everyone around here does. Zayn loved you once a little too much, you remember?", Louis laughs and ruffles Niall's hair. 

"Yes, he wanted to eat me!", Niall croaks out and begins to pout. "Stupid owl Zayn."
"Well, you do look delicious, don't you, little one?", the fox says with a witty smile and leans over to bite into Niall's squirrel ear. 
"Hey! Stop that!", Niall complains and pushes Louis away, beginning to scamper away from the fox. "This isn't funny. All my friends are a threat to my life... except for Liam."

"Liam could trample you to death", Louis offers and runs after Niall to catch him again.
"Don't be stupid! Liam would rather sacrifice himself than lay a finger on me and you bloody know that!", the squirrel hybrid yells and jumps into the nearest bush to hide. 

"Oh yeah", Louis cackles. "Liam, the holy deer. I'd love to gnaw a little on his sweet flesh", he admits and licks his lips, a hand rubbing his belly.
Niall leaps out of the bush again to stare at Louis flabbergasted. "You wouldn't do that. He's our friend. Louis!"
Another round of laughter from Louis calms Niall down again because he knows that Louis was just joking. Hopefully, at least.

Louis approaches Niall again, his red tail flicking slightly as he does. "Come on, Ni, let's play a little game..."
Niall narrows his eyes and backs away a bit. "I usually don't like your kind of games, Louis, they always end bad", he points out and all of his senses are on higher alert.

"Ah no, you'll like this one", the fox assures, still drawing closer to the squirrel. "It's called predator and prey and I'm gonna chase you!", Louis' voice gets louder and louder near the end and he suddenly takes a huge leap forward, so that Niall has no other choice than to run away from him. 

Niall is of course faster than Louis, but not by much and he's really scared for his life this time. He sidesteps and jumps over branches and other stuff on the forest soil but Louis is fast and Niall has no time to climb on a tree. This would be much easier if he was a real squirrel. He's a talented climber but he's not as light and tiny as an actual squirrel.

"Fuck you, Louis, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck-", Niall's clamour comes to a sudden halt, when he crashes into someone and he thinks he hears Louis' dumb laughter somewhere in the distance after he lands face first in someone's chest.

"Oh god, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm-", the squirrel starts rambling, pushing himself up a little, to see who he collided with and oh. Oh. A mop of chocolate brown curly hair, green eyes and dimples.
Oh. Oh no.

"It's okay, I'm not hurt. Are you alright?", a deep voice asks and Niall feels a soft hand on top of his bare shoulder, holding him up. Niall can't move. He can't, he really can't. So he stays in his current position on top of his crush, who blushes. 
"Uh", he says. "As comfortable as I am on the wet forest floor..."

"Oh", Niall realises. "Oh! Yes! Sorry!", he stands up as quickly as he can and he pulls his crush up within the movement. And then he laughs, his crush laughs and it's wonderful, he's got a wonderful laughter. Much, much lovelier than Louis'. 

"Why were you running? Was something chasing yo- a-are these... ears?", the other boy wonders and eyes Niall's fluffy animal ears up and down. "That's amazing... are you a hybrid? A forest hybrid? I've seen some cat and dog hybrids, but this is really special!", he exclaims, seemingly amazed and then he reaches out to touch Niall's ears, who shimmies away.
Because hey, yeah, he likes that dude but he doesn't know that dude like that.

"Ah, sorry, I know, I, uh, I should've asked first... sorry. I'm Harry", Niall's crush introduces himself and reaches out again, but just to shake the squirrel hybrid's hand. 
"H-Hi Harry. My name's Niall and yeah... I-I'm an hybrid. Squirrel hybrid. Nice to meet you", Niall replies a bit stiffly because he doesn't talk to humans on a daily base. Let alone to the love of his life.

"A squirrel hybrid? That's phenomenal! I've never seen one before!", Harry is all smiles and happy glances and it really overwhelms Niall. So Harry isn't scared of him. He doesn't think Niall's a monster and apparently hybrids are completely normal and accepted. Don't blame Niall that he doesn't know stuff like that, he's been outside of this forest for like... one time in his life.
So how is he supposed to know?

Niall doesn't say anything after that, he just blushes and looks at Harry for quite a long time. He knows it's kind of embarrassing but he also knows that he doesn't know what to say. 
"You're really cute", says Harry then after a while and makes Niall blush even more. "Can I... maybe now... touch you?"

Niall's eyes widen and he jumps a little. "T-Touch me?"
"Oh no no, no no, no! That came out wrong!", Harry quickly shouts and waves about with his hands. "I meant... I meant... may I touch your ears? Oh god. That doesn't sound better...", but Niall nods anyway and steps a little closer to Harry.

Harry reaches out one more time and strokes Niall's soft squirrel ears. His gaze is intense but this feels right to Niall. Then Harry's hands wander down Niall's hair, to his cheek, to his chin and somehow Harry begins to caress Niall's lips and suddenly there is this really weird tension between the two of them, in which Niall just tries not to moan and Harry keeps caressing Niall's face and especially lips. 

It's Sunday and it's afternoon and Niall could swear that he still hears Louis growling somewhere, but he doesn't care because Harry is right there and so freaking close and. 
Is he supposed to lean in? To kiss him? What is this? What are they doing?
When a branch somewhere cracks, Harry comes back out of his daze and blinks. 

"Oh, oh god", he mutters then, his ears reddening to the colour of Louis' fur. "I don't know what came over me, it's just, you're just-"
And Niall doesn't quite understand but smiles anyway, to make Harry feel less embarrassed and uncomfortable. "It's alright"
Harry silently nods and smiles back. "Alright"

There's a silence after that where they both just smile at each other and at some point, they're even holding hands and even though it isn't love at first sight for Niall, it is for Harry and-

"But you do know that you can't take Niall home with you and keep him like a kitten hybrid or a puppy hybrid or some sort of whatever fluffy pet hybrid you humans have", Louis' voice pipes up and thus is the peaceful moment destroyed. "He's a wild animal, are you aware of that? Harry?"
Louis finally steps out of wherever he hid himself and looks at Harry judgmental.

"Louis! What are you on about? Haven't you been the one earlier to encourage me? That he'll come and- Louis!", Niall complains and stomps adorably towards the fox hybrid. "You said he'd like me!"
Louis crosses his arms in front of his chest. "Well yeah, I didn't lie, now, did I?"

Niall crosses his arms as well and nods angrily. "You didn't. But why are you ruining this right now?"
"I just wanted to remind you that you're not cut out to be a cute little pet for some dumb human. You live here, this is your home, this is where you belong", Louis says and his tone is dangerously calm.

"Of course I know that! Are you crazy? I've just met him! We've talked for the first time! You've asked me if I'd talk to him today and I-", Niall hisses and his tail is seemingly electric. All of his fur is protruding in anger.

"You said you wouldn't! I just want to protect you!", Louis exclaims furiously. 
"You don't! You wanted to make me your flipping prey if you don't remember!", Niall shouts.
"That was just a game, you twat!", Louis yells and shows off his sharp teeth. 

That's the moment where Harry decides to step in. "Uhm, guys, guys, please-"
"Oh, shut up, human", Louis snarls and rolls his eyes, like he does so often. "You don't have a say in this. This is forest animal business"
"Uh", Harry gulps a little. "You're not much less human than I am and I think it's Niall's own decision if he wants to go with me- argh. What are we even discussing right now?"

"WE aren't discussing anything. Niall and I are discussing his life choices", Louis grunts and steps towards Harry now, who looks intimidated. 
"But okay. Okay, let me tell you one thing: Niall has had the biggest crush on you for like months now and if you fucking dare to break his little squirrel heart, then, I swear to god, I'll make you pay", the fox hybrid riles and pokes Harry's chest agrily. "He's like my little baby brother and no matter what it takes, I'll make you pay if you hurt him, okay?"

Suddenly, a strong grip pulls on Louis' shoulder and turns him around. "This is what your whole fuss was about? Me getting hurt by some stranger?!", Niall spats and shakes Louis.
"I'm not a complete stranger anym-", Harry tries to say, but he just earns a nasty glare and a rude "Oh, shut up, human!", so he stops.

"Lou, I can take care of myself. I am a squirrel. I have nuts. Alright?", Niall asks in a softer voice now and Louis nods, looking down at his feet. 
"Yeah. Sorry, Ni. I just. Got a bit overprotective", he says and then they hug for a long time. 
It's cute and really heartwarming and Harry is also really, really confused and when he comes home, he'll have to sort out his feelings and decide if this day was even real or not.

"I'll leave you and the human alone now... see you, uhm, later", Louis bids goodbye and scurries away. 
Harry and Niall sigh with relief at the same time and chuckle because of that.

"He's a nice guy usually, I swear", Niall mumbles then and Harry just laughs. 
"Yeah, I guess he probably is", he says, grabs Niall and kisses him because hell, why not, this whole situation is weird enough, why not make it even weirder?

When they pull away again, breathlessly, Harry grins at the squirrel hybrid.
"So you've had quite a crush on me, right?"
Niall, of course, blushes like mad. "Maybe. But it's your fault. You shouldn't take long walks alone in the forest"

"Well", Harry says then, leaning closer to Niall again. "You can keep me company the next time then, yeah? I don't like being alone", he breathes and kisses Niall's cheek, who can't help but giggle.
"I'd love to". 

***
Dedicated to: @_shine because she requested hybrid Niall!

If you expected kitten Niall and a less weird writing and also less Nouis, then I'm sorry omg, because this is extremely weird and also extremely confusing, I bet. I hope you like it anyway somehow :)
I hope the others don't regret requesting something! ;D

I'm also sorry about the nut joke. 
xx