The ranker turned away, trying to tune it out and get lost in her book. "And do you know what the headmaster said?" the girl continued. "That the scraggly flea bag is one of her guardians," she scoffed. Ro could feel Twila tense on her shoulders. The cat's tail was flicking angrily and hitting Elwood in the face. "How could a cat, especially one like that, guard our future queen? It's ridiculous."

Professor Roman, who the girls didn't notice standing in front of their desk, cleared his throat. "Miss MacNamara. Miss Ethel. Miss Noel. I don't suppose you're talking ill of Twila, are you?" he said. His hands were relaxed in his front pockets, and he sported a frightening smile.

'Miss MacNamara', the first girl, cocked an eyebrow at him. "Uh, who?"

"Miss Celesté, Twila, will you two come here for a moment?"

Rosalie stood, making sure Twila didn't fall off her shoulders, and made her way to the table. Twila landed on the table in front of the girls and sat proudly with her nose turned up slightly, as if she were looking down at the girls. "Hello, ladies," Twila said. The three girls looked shocked as Twila spoke.

"Now, I'm sure this has been a misunderstanding," Professor Roman said. "Twila, if you will explain what you're doing here with Miss Celesté."

Twila smiled at him and nodded. "It'd be my pleasure." She turned back to the awestruck girls. Ro noticed the rest of the class falling silent to watch. "Well, I am a protector. Obviously most or all of you haven't heard of what I am, and I am here to set the record straight," she started. "I am one of twelve cats in the service of the crowns, including those of the Fae. We do various things, one of which is protecting heirs to the throne.

"We are akin to your group of elite knights. The hardest jobs are what I do on a daily basis. Protectors do what the knights and Fae honor guard cannot." A boy in the front raised his hand like it was a normal lecture. Twila fixed her cool green eyes on him. "Yes, young one?"

He shuffled around in his seat at her intense gaze. "Uh, what can't the knights and Fae guard do? And why did you call me young one?"

Twila chuckled darkly. "To answer your first question: I hope you never find out." The boy shrunk back at her answer. "And I call most people 'young one' because, to me, you are young."

Another hand was raised. "But you're a cat. Since you couldn't be older than any of us, but I guess there's something else to do with it," the girl sitting next to him asked. Twila laughed heartily at that.

"I am four hundred and seventeen years old." She was rewarded with gasps and shocked faces. "I know; I look quite good for my age." Twila glanced back at the professor. "Do you think that would be enough for them to stop calling me a 'mangy flea bag'?" she asked, giving the three girls a predatory smile.

"Twila! Do the thing!" Alicia called out.

"Yea! The thing where you turn and do the other thing!" Elwood agreed.

Twila sighed and jumped down to the front of the classroom. She glared up at the expectant students. "I'm only going to do this once, so watch carefully," she said. A dark blue ring of fire opened up in front of her. She stepped through, changing into her natural form and bringing another round of gasps from the attentive class.

Elwood and Alicia cheered in the back of the room, causing Twila to roll her eyes. "Quiet down, you two," she snapped at them. "This, dear children, is my natural form and the body I was born in. Before you ask, I stay in my smaller form most of the time because it's easier to be in public," she said cooly. "Charles, I believe the bell will ring in a moment. You may have your class back."