Chapter 1

Okay, so I really didn’t like the first chapter so I rewrote it.

I hope you guys like this one better.

Word count: 714

---

Pounding footsteps, gun shots, and screams fill the air. The gate is close, only about 15 feet further until they reach freedom. Footsteps draw nearer, legs push harder and faster. The only light is the moon light and the strategically placed torches. Greg pulls on my arm, making me run farther. My breath is coming out in rigid puffs. The doorway to our freedom is becoming closer and closer as time passes, but then again so are the footsteps, the guns, the soldiers. They don’t want us to leave, they don’t want me to leave. They need me. I’m a guinea pig, lab rat, freak of nature, and a test subject. And eventually, when they get what they need from me, I’ll be dispensable and then they’ll kill me. I will not stay just to be killed. I have to run, to get away, get out. Out into the world of bandits and walkers where I’ll be safe. It’s much safer out there then in here, out there there’s no sense of false hope or security. I’ll keep my guard up and stay alive. We close in on the gate, the distance gets shorter and the shouts get louder, my energy falls lower with each increasing stride. We reach the gate as soon as a loud bang echoes through the camp, a sound I would know anywhere: a gunshot. And then everything went in slow motion. A groan of pain made it to my ears and I turned to my right, to see Greg clutching his stomach blood rushing out like a waterfall. Despite the fact that he was dying he pushed me out of the gate, then collapsed to his knees. I stood frozen, as the soldiers surrounded him. His eyes locked with mine and he mouthed ‘run’ to me, sending me a weak smile. A gun is placed to his temple and he closes his eyes and smiles, probably imagining being with his wife and Theo again. A shot rings out, his body slumps to the ground lifeless, the soldier smirks evilly at me, and I scream.

“Greg!!!!” tears stream down my face, then the gun is on me.

***

My eyes shot open, my breathing coming out labored and my senses all dulled. My vision is blurry and I cant make out anything. After a minute of breathing in and out, my breathing is back to normal and my senses are back. The first thing I spot is the barrel of a gun pointed straight at my face and I freeze. I follow the barrel to the holder of the gun only to be met with four boys around my age all pointing a weapon at me defensively. I study each boy. The first one has raven black hair, and honey hue eyes. Tattoos litter his arms and I could see some tattoos peaking out of his tattered, low cut shirt. He was holding hands with a boy who had feathery chestnut colored hair and bright blue eyes. He had tattoos littering his arms as well, and he was watching my movements- which were extremely limited- like a hawk. The third one was the one with his gun in my face. He had dark brown hair with natural lighter brownish/ blondish highlights. He had chocolate colored eyes, and if you would look at him in any other circumstances he would resemble a puppy if it weren’t for the glare that was pointed at me. Then lastly was a boy, maybe a year younger than me, who had a head of unruly chocolate curls, and emerald green eyes. He had a long torso, and tattoos also littered his tanned skin. He watched me with curiosity and wariness. Puppy eyes cleared his throat and my head shot up in his direction, my eyes locking with his.

He glared at me and put the safety off his gun.

Shit.

---

Well how was that one? I liked it a lot better than the first attempt.

Comment: Zarry if you read the hybrid and Narry if you like this chapter?

5 comments and votes for an update by Wednesday

~V