Chapter 39: Conversations

The day came, and now it was finally time to speak to the bat. I stood in the elevator alone, as I slowly went up to the 22nd floor. I wore a black pencil skirt, white dress shirt, and black heels. People wouldn't recognize me in regular clothes, but I know Bruce will.

"Hey, how's everything up there?" Selina asked, hearing her through the secret earpiece I wore.

"Good, I'm in the elevator right now, I'm almost up. When you hear me cough, that's a signal that I'm in, ok?" I said, placing a finger in the earpiece as I spoke.

"Ok." She said, and the elevator doors opened. I walked over to the appointment desk, and a older woman greeted me.

"Hello, do you have a appointment, or are you a walk in?" She asked.

"Walk in, but I need to speak with Mr. Wayne, it's very urgent." I said. The woman shuffled through papers, then looked up at me.

"Well, lucky for you, he has no meetings going on right now, so maybe I could phone him and see what I can do." She said, grabbing the desk phone.

"Oh thank you." I smiled, and the woman began her conservation on the phone.

"Yes.... She says it's urgent.....Umm, just a second Mr. Wayne." She looked up at me. "Miss, what's your name." She asked.

"Anna Richards." I lied, giving a smile, as the lady nodded.

"Her name is Anna Richards.....ok...... Alright, I'll send her up." The woman placed the phone down, and wrote something on a piece of paper.

"Ok, Anna, you are set to speak with Mr. Wayne. Just go down this hall right here, turn left, and his office should be open."

"Thank you." I said, and I began to walk down the hall. I admired the paintings on the wall, as I walked, then I turned the corner. His office door was open, but he wasn't there. I walked in, and looked around. I coughed, sending my signal. There was a big table in the middle of the room, with a large leather chair in front, and two smaller leather chairs on the other side. The view was spectacular. I looked down on Gotham City, then decided to go and sit in the chair, in front of the table. I sat for three minutes, until I heard footsteps come into the room, and the door closing. I didn't look back because I didn't want him to see my face yet.

"Hello, Anna, I'm Bruce, and I'll be speaking with you about your urgency of the meeting." He said, as I heard him coming closer. He walked past me but didn't see my face. I held my head down, as he sat in the large leather seat in front of me. I looked up slowly, then his eyes became wide.

"Hello Batsy." I smirked, leaning back in my chair. "Now before you call security on me, I just wanted to have a civilized conversation with you." I said.

"How about we have this conversation at Arkham? Hmm..." He said.

"Uh, I don't think that'll be happening because I'm here to tell you that I want to switch sides... I want to be good for once." He stared at me, then broke into laughter.

"Haha, please, I'm not buying it."

"You should because, J and I are done... I'm letting crime go, and I genuinely want to change for the better." I lied.

"And how do I know this is true? I can't believe anything... That killer clown told me the same crap years ago." My blood boiled at what he called J, but I composed myself.

"Do I look like him?"

"No, but you act like him... Kill like him..."

"True, but why do think I laid low for a while? It's 'cause I'm trying to change. I went through so much... I can't take this anymore. I had to kill my own brother... Do you think I want to keep killing? I don't, because everytime I get ready to pull the trigger, I see my brother's pleading face... I need help, and Arkham isn't the answer." I said, as I was completely impressed with my acting and lies. I made my eyes a little teary, to make it much more realistic. Bruce looked at me with sympathetic eyes, and I knew I had him hooked.