Chapter 33 - "Hey there, big boy."

When Kendle woke up the next day, she stretched, lifting up as everyone brushed their teeth with their leftover water-bottle and T-shirts, Kendle turned to her side and saw Beverly's purple clip she always kept in her head. She glanced ahead of her and saw two of the women who slept in their same bunk, brushing their teeth as well. Kendle stood up and peeked in the middle of the room, looking around.

"Hey, where's Beverly?" Kendle asked.

"She's probably still with the guards." Leona said as she brushed Lucillia's teeth.

Kendle scrunched her eyebrows, placing her fingers in her afro as she slowly started pacing around.

"Don't be nervous, sweetheart." One of the many women inside of the cramped room chattered. "The guards will take her back inside when they come here."

Kendle looked at the women, shaking off her nervousness as she prepared to start brushing her teeth with her shirt. Right when she started, two of the guards opened the door, covering their noses as they turned away.

"Good god!" The first guard groaned. "It smells HORRIBLE in here!"

"Is Wu ever gonna clean their bunks?" The second guard groaned as he sprayed Fabreeze in the front part.

"Nope." The first guard growled. "The whole point is for them to sit in their own filth."

Kendle looked around the men, standing up and giving them a serious look.

"Where's Beverly?" Kendle asked as she stood up.

The guards glanced down at her, waving their hands towards themselves.

"Come on, ladies!" The guards barked. "Chop chop!"

Kendle face grew more stern as she stood up, balling up her fists.

"Where's Beverly?" Kendle growled in a more sinister tone.

The first guard gave her a slight sentimental look, turning to the other women.

Kendle knew.

"Come on!" The guards barked as the women started lining up. "Hurry up!"

Kendle's eyes welled with tears as she gazed at the men. On impulse, she barged through the guards and started sprinting down the long hall.

"Hey! Hey!!!" The first guard barked. "Go! Go after her, Ju!"

The second guard sprinted after Kendle, but Kendle wasn't stopping. She needed to check and see where Beverly was. Not stopping because of adrenaline, she bursted out of the doors of the camp. She ran almost half a football field over to the men's side, sprinting over to them as they began to bury a few of the bodies. From above, gunshots rang out as the guards fired at Kendle, trying to hit her. As she rushed up to the boys, she stopped and started shoving a few of the bodies aside.

"Kendle!" Kevin called out. "What are you doing?"

Kendle's eyes and mouth opened wide as she started moaning, placing her hands out and cradling Beverly out of the pile. Kevin, Dave, and Tina covered their mouth in disbelief as they laid eyes on her body.

And as Tina's best friend, she was hurt.

"Beverly!" Tina screamed as she shook her body. "Bev!"

Kendle's mouth remained open as she slowly shut her eyes, leaning forward on Beverly's chest and listening to the silence of her missing heartbeat. Dave scrunched his eyebrows at the guards, standing up and standing in their faces.