Part 28

^^^^ Hello again peeps, Gonna update a larger part this time around just to make up for the tiny one last time. Been busy writing a short story for a contest, and since i've finished this one and just updating it here, I've been inspired to make the longer version of it :D  I'm excited. And if anyone happens to be interested I'll let you know once I've started publishing it. ^^^^^

After a trip to several stops at various stores, including a lingerie store to Anna's protest, and a trip to a salon, where Anna got a few layers added to her hair and Jessica had a few highlights added, they rolled up to Anna's four plex.

She felt herself instantly tense as Jessica put her car in park.

"Remember, play it cool, and treat him like a stranger," Jessica instructed. Anna absent mindlessly nodded along as she stared at the door of the four plex. "And if you need anything, even a place to stay, call me. I'll come get you."

Anna looked back over at Jessica and sucked in a deep breath.

"I'll see you at school," She mumbled as she got out of the car. She tried to steel herself before she headed for the front door and quietly slipped in. The couch was vacated but she could hear their voices talking softly in the kitchen. Anna took her bags and headed into her room without looking in. She dropped her bags at the end of her bed and began to unpack them when she heard a soft knock on the door.

"Anna," Kurtis asked as he opened her door.

"Yep?" Anna answered calmly as she took the new clothes she got and walked over to her closet to hang them up, and to avoid looking at Kurtis.

"Uh, Megan needs a place to crash for a few days, do you mind if she stays here," He asked slowly as he shut the door behind him, closing them in together.

"Yeah sure," Anna said nicely as she hung up a pair of jeans.

"Are you sure? Because if you're not, I'll get her to find somewhere else," He offered softly.

Anna almost snorted and rolled her eyes instead.

Sure, use me as an excuse to get rid of your ex, instead of dealing with it yourself. Make me the bad guy.

"It's all good," Anna said nicely again. "She's is in need, why turn her away. She doesn't need anymore stress."

Kurtis stayed quiet by the door. Anna glanced over at him past the closet door and kept the calm mask she managed to plaster on her face.

His eyes flickered from her to his sweater tossed in the laundry basket.

"Are you okay?" He asked softly as he turned his gaze back to her and took a step towards her. Anna turned back to her closet and started to hang up a shirt.

"Yeah, I'm fine, why?" She asked calmly.

"Because you seem upset?" He said slowly, unsure of his words.