Chapter 20 - Forgiveness

Lily's POV

I glance down at my phone and see a text from Marcus. My skin crawls at the sight of his name but his message makes my heart drop.

*Can you call me? I need someone to talk to*

Of course, I was still mad and disappointed at him after our last conversation so I didn't know what to do.

But then I get another message from him and I almost drop my phone.

*It's my mom...*

I immediately stand up.

"I'll be right back. I just have to make a phone call." I don't even bother looking at them as I make my way out to the back door. I slide the door open and step outside, closing it behind me. I sit on the patio chair and dial Marcus' number.

He answers at the first ring. "Lily?" His voice sounds weak and he sounds tired.

"Hi, Marcus."

I wait for him to say something. I can hear him breathing and then he sniffles.

"She's getting worse."

I close my eyes, trying to stop the tears.

Marcus' mom was diagnosed with breast cancer a bit after me and Marcus met. She was doing fine at first but then it slowly started to get worse. She was a lovely woman and she treated me like one of her own children. She would always make me feel at home whenever I would stay at their place. She was one of the most selfless and most caring people I knew.

Every time I would see her, I could see her slowly getting thinner, her hair thinning and her skin would lose its colour. It tore me up inside but I knew I had to stay strong for her.

And now she's getting worse. I can't even imagine how much she's suffering right now. And Marcus was an only child so he was always a mommy's boy. He loved her more than anything and he was always there for every appointment and every single chemotherapy and radiation she went through.

No matter what me and Marcus are going through right now, I'd always be there for him through this.

"I'm so sorry, Marcus."

He takes a couple of deep breaths to calm himself down.

"I told you to stop saying sorry, Lily. It's not your fault."

Every time Marcus would tell me about his mother's worsening condition, I would always say that I was sorry. And he would always tell me to stop saying that.

"I know. I just don't know what else to say."

I really didn't. What do you say to someone who is slowly losing the one that they care the most about?

"I just wish you were here. I have no one to talk to. My dad's working two jobs now to pay for the treatments and all of my friends found out about...what I did to you and they hate me for it. I know what I did was horrible but I feel like you're the only one who knows what I'm going through."

My heart hurts for him. I would never wish this upon anyone, not even Marcus. He's going through this alone and no one should have to go through that.

"Let's just forget about what happened, okay? I'm still here for you through this. I'm still hurt by what you did but I'm forgiving you."

"Really?" he sounds hopeful and surprised.

"Yes. I mean, I would like a sincere apology but now's not the time."

"You're too good for me, Lily. I don't deserve your forgiveness. I honestly thought that you would hang up on me. I promise that I will make it up to you in the most sincere way that I can. Is your offer to be friends still on the table?"