Chapter 142 - Relief

Lily's POV

"You'll be fine, babe. They're going to love you."

I've been trying to reassure Harry the entire car ride to my parent's house that he has nothing to worry about. We're nearly there and he's still as worked up as he was when we left.

"I just want to make sure that I leave a first good impression. Add in the fact that we're going to tell them that I gave you a promise ring, I can't mess anything up."

I brush my thumb against his hand that's been placed on my lap the entire car ride. I know how Harry is. I know that he gets along with everyone he meets but whenever he meets someone important, he always gets nervous and worried that he'll leave a bad impression. What he doesn't know is that, no matter what he does, he always charms people over.

"You just have to be yourself and they'll love you."

"Yeah, but...what if they're extra cautious now...after what happened with Marcus? I wouldn't hold it against them. I'd be pretty damn protective of you, too, after that."

"Aw, how sweet of you," I tease. "So you're saying that you would protect me from boys like yourself?"

I grin at him when he playfully glares at me, knowing that I got him.

"Harry, whether they like you or not, it's not going to affect us in any way. I don't care if they, for some odd reason, don't like you, then so what? I'm still going to love every single part of you and I'm still going to be yours and I'm still going to be promised to you. Okay?"

He looks over at me as we're stopped at a red light and I can finally see him relaxing, but only slightly.

"But they're going to love you, okay?" I add. "I'm being completely honest here. I wouldn't lie about this. No matter what happened with Marcus, they're going to look at you as Harry, the one that I constantly tell them over the phone that I'm completely in love with. They're not judgmental people, Harry. They're the last people on earth that would judge people before they got to meet them. They're excited to meet you. My mum already loves you. And my dad...he's the type of person where as long as I'm happy, he's happy. And you make me so damn happy."

He finally smiles, every ounce of worry leaving his body.

"I do, don't I?" he asks smugly. "So, you're saying that if I make you more happy before I meet them, they're going to love me even more?"

I roll my eyes and look up at the ceiling of the car. "Lord, give me strength."

Even though he's being cheeky once again, I'm just glad that he's not freaking out about meeting my parents anymore. I look back at him, shooting him a smile before he starts to drive.

I lean over and rest my head against his shoulder as we finally enter my hometown. Framlingham is as small and cozy as I remember it. It's a small town where everyone knows everyone and that's one of the things I loved the most about it. You could walk down the street and smile at everyone you pass by and they wouldn't give you a dirty look. I loved growing up here.

Memories start flashing in my mind as we pass by familiar places. The park, the town hall, the little shops, the old, historic buildings, and finally, my neighbourhood.

We turn onto my street and I sit up straight when I finally spot my childhood home. We pull into the driveway of the old, classic, two-story home and I can't hold back the huge smile spreading across my face.

Harry turns off the car and we both step out. He makes his way to me and I take his hand before I lead him up the small set of steps to the front door. I ring the doorbell and I look over at Harry and lean up to give him a quick kiss just before the door opens.