Chapter Nineteen

School was less than three weeks away. Where had the summer gone? It was crap, though. At my old school we didn’t start until the end of August. At Marshal County High, though, I started August second. So unfair.

  Leander took me riding a couple of times that week. He kept saying we were going to go trail riding, but I downright refused. I wasn’t bad, but I wasn’t good, either. I’d heard Piper and Liam talk about the kinds of trails they went on. There was just no way I was ever going to up for that, even if I was assured Terry would do everything I said. I was just afraid I would tell him to do something wrong and he’d still do it…..

  “I just can’t believe you’re going out with my idiot cousin!” Maddie teased me.

  I rolled my eyes. “Whatever, Mads. You know it won’t last that long.”

  She gave me that uh-huh-yeah-right look, but didn’t say anything about it. “He is a little bit gorgeous, isn’t he?”

  “Yeah,” I sighed dreamily.

  Maddie laughed at me. “Okay, seriously! We’re supposed to be shopping. Not talking about boys!”

  I stared at her. “I thought the whole point of shopping was to talk about boys?”

  “Not when I don’t have a boyfriend!”

  I just rolled my eyes at her. “Then shop, loser.”

  She grinned cheekily and we continued into the hundred stores Cool Springs Galleria had to offer.

  “Weren’t you s’posed to be hangin’ with your cute British friend today?” Maddie asked after we exited Body Central.

  I nodded. “Yeah. He’s kinda pissed with me, I think.”

  “Why?”

  I shrugged. “I’ve been all busy with Leander I haven’t really been a good friend to him.”

  “Um….”

  “I mean, it’s just kinda weird right now. I don’t know what to say about Leander and me. To be honest, I’m a little embarrassed to tell Sawyer that we’re dating. I mean, we did make fun of the guy for, like, ever.”

  Maddie cleared her throat loudly.

  I kept going. “I’m worried about what he’ll think of me. Leander’s kind of a notorious ladies man an all….I don’t know. I feel like I’ve gotten myself in a big mess.”

  “Yes,” Maddie agreed, closing her eyes. “You’re in a mess.”

  “I know, right? Thank God you agree! I was afraid there was a glitch in my brain or something.”

  “Okay, you cannot be this stupid,” Maddie muttered, shaking her head. “Sawyer’s standing right behind you.”

 I whipped around and, sure enough, there stood my blonde friend, a broad smirk on his face. “How long have you been standing there?” I snapped, hands going to my hips.

  He shrugged. “Long enough to hear the dirty little secret.”

  All American Rejects immediately came to mind.

  “So,” Sawyer said, walking over to us. “You finally fell for Leander’s charms, huh?”

  I bit my lip, feeling like a total weakling. This was exactly why I hadn’t told Sawyer yet. Despite our brief past spats, I was actually having fun with Leander. Now that I saw that disapproving look in Sawyer’s eyes, though, and I felt like a total slut.