Chapter Four

My first day of work at the farm! I was both dreading it and excited about it. Apparently, though, I would mainly be working at the horse barn, though. And I would only be there for a few hours. But who cares! I could even leave me shit smelling boots—that I just bought—on Leander’s front porch.

  Actually I couldn’t, really. Mom really liked Alaric. So my life was basically in ruins now. Because either she’d end up with this guy or they’d break up in a month; and there starts the neighborly feud. Verona vs. McNelly. It had a nice ring to it, I had to admit. But that could be because I was already in my own Verona vs. McNelly.

  The Nelsons lived pretty far out of town, somewhere in Petersburg. Over the phone, Liam had told me to really watch the road or else I would miss the driveway; and I nearly did. I drove down a long dirt road for at least twenty minutes before I finally found their tiny farm house. It was pretty cute, though. One story, white, twenty-six acres of flat land. And there was a cute red barn and what looked to be a chicken coop off to the side of the little house.

  I parked next to an old white Ford in the driveway before I walked up to the front door. I had to admit, I felt a little awkward and twice as shy, but I was confident I would get over it.

  As soon as I knocked on the cute red door, a very pregnant Piper opened it with a broad smile. She looked less put together since the last time I had seen her. Her dark hair was piled up in a messy ponytail and she was still in black yoga pants.

  “Hey, Kodi,” she said a little breathlessly. “How’re you?”

  I smiled. “Pretty good. How ‘bout you? You seem a little outta it.”

  “Cleaning.” She made a face. “I can’t stop myself. The house smells to high Heaven!”

  I laughed softly. “It smells pretty lemony fresh from where I stand.”

  Piper beamed. “Why thank you! Oh, Liam’s already down at the barn.” She nodded toward the red building. “Told me to tell you to just meet him down there.”

  “Oh, okay. I will go do that, then.” I grinned again. “See you later!”

  “Have fun!”

  I made a little face of mock disgust, to which Piper just laughed at.

  It took me two minutes to reach the barn—I clocked it. Liam had a blackish-bluish horse tied up in a sort of opening. Two chains connected to two poles, which connected to the rings on either side of the horse’s halter. The horse was very handsome, though. Big boned, not skinny, but not fat, either. He or she was very muscled and very clean looking.

  “Hey,” I said as I came in through the already opened double doors.

  Liam looked over and shot me a bright grin. “Hey, Kodi! You’re a little early.”

  I glanced at my chunky wristwatch. “Am I? Ugh. Sorry.”

  “Nah. Early’s better anyway.”

  I walked carefully up to the tall horse, holding my hand under it’s nose. “What’s your horse’s name?”

  “Terry,” Liam answered.

  “Hey, Terry,” I cooed as it sniffed my hand. “Boy or girl?”

  “Boy. Haven’t had him cut yet, either.” Liam patted his flank affectionately. “He’s all male.”

  I nodded thoughtfully. “So do you breed him?”

  At this, Liam laughed. “Not intentionally. Our only mare is pregnant right now, though.”