Chapter 47:

Recap:

"You said there won't be any vampires and humans left."

"Oh..." Rose looked down. "Okay, this may be alarming at first, I mean, I couldn't believe it myself when I met Dean 120 years ago."

"What?" Stefan asked anxiously.

"Dean...isn't what you call an ordinary vampire."

"How so?" Caroline prompted.

"I-" Rose sighed. "There's no easy way to say this."

"Just say it, please?" Damon murmured.

"Dean feeds not only on humans, but he also feeds on vampires." Rose looked around the room to see mixed reaction. Matt, Tyler, Caroline and Thomas looked confused while Elena, Stefan, Damon were horrified. Rebekah's mouth was open in shock while Elijah was concerned, his hand in Rose's loosening.

******

Chapter 47:

"Hey," Elena murmured as she wrapped her arms around Damon's waist and rested her head against his back. "How are you doing?"

"It just doesn't seem real," Damon murmured. "What Rose is saying in the other room, it doesn't seem real, Elena. I don't know why she's saying all that. That's not my brother. I know him, that's not Dean."

"The only way you'll know is if you go and ask her. They're all waiting, come on, Damon. I'll be with you." Elena held out her hand and Damon sighed as he took it. 

They walked into the living room and Rose looked at Damon.

"I'm sorry for springing that on you, Damon."

"So," Damon looked at Rose, "when Stefan's in ripper mode, he feeds from humans and kills them. As normal vampires do, but Dean...Dean drinks blood from humans and vampires?"

"Yes," Rose sighed as she uncrossed her arms.

"How is that possible?" Elena asked.

"It's a family thing." Rose murmured. She cleared her throat. "It has to be. I mean, Damon, you said it yourself, Stefan loses it and becomes a ripper." Rose looked at Stefan. "They didn't call you the Ripper of Monterey for nothing." Rose now faced Damon. "Damon. You've been known for going on killing sprees. And now, Dean..."

Damon swallowed. Silence filled the room, everyone knew Rose was right.

"What are we going to do?" Rebekah asked.

"Nothing we can do again," Rose sighed.

"What does that mean? What did you before?"

Rose hesitated and looked at Elijah.

"Tell us, love."

"Well," Rose stood up and walked towards the fireplace, her back against the others. "Just under 95 years ago...Dean and I were in Italy, masquerading as a brother and sister. Back then, Dean knew me as Belle. Not Rose. Anyway, a few weeks in, and Dean being Dean, he fell in love with a local girl. Antonia De Souza. God, she was beautiful and just so sweet."

"Was?" Elena whispered. "Tell me Dean didn't."

"Well, no. It's not what you think, Elena."

"Enlighten us," Rebekah murmured.

Rose stared ahead.

"It all started in Italy, 1910, it was. It was the end of Spring and the town had put on a little celebratory End of Spring event. It was annual."

*flashback*

"Of course," Dean smiled, "my sister and I would only be too happy to attend the town's end End of Spring festival tonight, Mrs Papadopulous," Dean smiled at Rose.