Chapter 44:

Recap:

*outside of Mystic Falls*

In the dark, there was a soft groan as a man stirred. His hands and ankles tied to the chair, he shook as he came to a realisation that he was alone.

"What the..."

A pair of high heels clicked as a woman walked in.

"About time you woke up, sunshine."

Dean blinked hard, his eyes bleary. As soon as they came into focus, his frowned.

"Who are you?"

"I'm the woman who has your life in her hands."

********
Chapter 44:

Hours had passed and Elijah was still on Wickery Bridge, reeling from seeing the love of his life before she vanished before his eyes. Wiping his brow, Elijah looked into the murky water. 

"How was that possible?"

Meanwhile, on the other side, Rose was transported back immediately and she was pale.

"What's the matter?" Kai asked sharply. "Why are you back? Did it not work?"

Rose did not reply, still in shock.

"What happened? How did you come back?" Oscar asked. 

"I don't know," Rose whispered as tears fell. "But I saw him. I saw Elijah and he saw me."

"That's good," Kai spoke. "Your form must've been solid for him to see you! We'll try again and this time we'll get back there for sure."

"He couldn't touch me." Rose whispered.

"But he could see you!" Kai sounded gleeful. "This means we're almost there!"

"What makes you so sure?" Oscar asked in a surly tone.

"Practice," Kai smirked.

"Arianna. Arianna! Where's Arianna?" Rose gasped. "She walked into the portal as well! She walked with me! Where the hell did she end up?"

Kai's face fell.

"You forgot about her?" Rose asked softly.

"I'm sure she is fine, wherever she ended up."

'No, Oscar, look what happened to me. Sure, I ended up where Elijah was, but he couldn't touch me! I wasn't solid! Arianna...where could she be? With her loved one? The one who she turned for? She had a boyfriend."

"She got to the world of living," Kai said, "I'm sure of it."

Oscar looked at Rose.

"How are you doing?"

"I...I wanna go back home." Rose whimpered, "I wanna go back home to Elijah."

"We will," Kai soothed her. "We all have something or someone to go home to."

Oscar looked at Rose and his eyes watered. He looked away before the others saw.

"Now, Rose, tell me exactly what happened." Kai said as he led Rose under the makeshift shelter.

"What's this?"

"We built this while you were gone. It's a shelter to hide from the darkness. The nothing."

"But how did you manage to build it so fast?" Rose frowned. "I wasn't gone that long."

"You were gone for hours, Rose." Kai chuckled. "Now, what happened?"