Chapter 48:

Recap:

"What made him snap out of it?" Elena asked.

"Nothing," Rose's voice cracked. "He just stopped suddenly... I found him this night and he was completely broken."

*flashback*

"Dean?" Rose asked softly, "are you okay?" He did not answer as he remained on the wet ground, in a kneeling position and with his back facing Rose. Shaking, Rose took off her large cloak and draped it over Dean, who was naked. "It is okay, Dean," Rose whispered as she led him towards the compelled carriage. "I've got you, Dean, I've got you."

"No, no," Dean whimpered.

"Dean, please," Rose was shaking violently, "we have to get out of here before we are caught."

"I killed them," Dean croaked as he pointed around wildly. "I did that,"

"Please, Dean,"

"I killed them all,"

"Dean, we don't have time to dwell on that, please," Rose looked around quickly. "We have to get out of here right now," When Dean nodded, Rose was relieved. They walked towards their carriage together, leaving behind a bloody mess of dead men, women and children.

*end of flashback*

"So..." Rose looked at the others, "the monster Dean is right now, I am partly to blame."

The others remained silent. Rose looked up and saw with a jolt that Klaus was standing there, his face passive. 

*********

Chapter 48:

Rose, Damon and Thomas were standing in the woods as they watched a pile of bodies being burned in the fire pit.

"God, what a waste," Rose whispered as she shook her head. "He didn't even leave them worthy of being buried. Poor people," 

"Hm," Thomas exhaled. 

The trio stood in silence for a few moments. 

"Rose?" Thomas sighed finally. "What are you thinking?"

"Need to find Dean before he kills someone else," Rose murmured. 

"Why didn't you tell us all this before?" Damon asked without looking away from the fire.

"I thought it would be better coming from Dean," Rose sighed and she looked at Damon. "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, I should have told you and Stefan what was really going on. I mean, you're his family, you have more right over him that I ever will. I shouldn't have misjudged that."

"You only did what you thought was best," Damon finally looked at Rose. "For the record, you are family. You are as much family to Dean as Stefan and I are." Damon turned and looked at Thomas. "So are you, kid."

"Appreciate it," Thomas murmured with a small smile. 

"You did what you thought was best, Rose," Damon repeated. 

"Still wasn't my best," Rose let out a bitter chuckle. "God, I can't believe how much I cocked up, from the very moment I met Dean to now."

"We'll find him," Damon said as he reached for Rose's hand and squeezed. 

"Hope so... or this town will have no residents by sunrise," Rose whispered.

"I'm gonna go home," Thomas murmured before he sped off.

"I'll keep an eye on him." Damon nodded; he knew what Rose was about to say. 

"I'll bring Dean home, Damon." Rose spoke. "I promise."