Chapter 37

「Chapter 37: 'Whatever'」

=Author's POV=

"It's either the both of you go together, or I'll take Eryn to the bus myself," Mr Seong said, wanting to get on with the 'excursion'.

Hyuk pressed his lips together and shot daggers at N, before walking out towards where the bus was. N clenched his jaw and followed. 

* * *

The bus driver, who was minding his own business in the bus, was surprised to see Hyuk and N coming back. He opened the bus door and they went in, Hyuk briefly explaining about having to let Eryn rest at the back of the bus.

He lay Eryn down at the back of the bus where there was a full row of seats, and Eryn adjusted herself as she fell back into dreamland. 

"What, so are you going to take off your coat and cover her with it?" N spat, leaning against a seat.

Hyuk scoffed. "No, I'm not going to. If you want to, go ahead."

Hyuk brushed past N and walked out of the bus.

N let out a sharp breath, rolling his eyes and following behind him. He grinned to himself, slipping a bracelet into his pocket. Eryn's.

"Won't you make yourself clear?" N snapped, making Hyuk stop and turn around just as the both of them stepped out of the bus.

"Why do I have to make myself clear to you?" 

"Because I did. I told you the truth," N retorted. 

"I didn't put a knife to your neck and make you, did I?"

N felt his anger boil. He took slow steps towards Hyuk, closing their distance apart. "I will do whatever to get her, Hyuk. I don't care if you had professed your feelings to her or not. I don't care about anything else. When I say I'll do whatever, I mean whatever."

Hyuk kept his strong gaze on N's eyes. For some reason, the way N said that made him beyond uneasy. 'Whatever' didn't sound like the 'I'll do everything for her because I love her' kind of 'whatever'. In fact, it sounded like the complete reverse. The darker side on things. 

N smirked irritatingly, before turning on his heels to leave from where they came from. Hyuk let out his held breath.

"Hyuk?" 

He turned around, seeing Eryn unsteadily stepping out of the bus. "What's going on?" she said, looking past Hyuk and seeing N's leaving back.

"Nothing. Nothing happened. You need rest, Eryn, why are you up?" Hyuk said, walking over to her.

"I'm feeling better, don't worry,"  she said. "And also..."

Hyuk hummed, waiting for her to continue.

"Thanks," she mumbled.

"The medicine, you mean? Yeah, no problem," Hyuk chuckled.

"No, not that." Eryn shook her head. "I heard what you said. The last line before I fell asleep."

"...Oh." Hyuk was surprised. 

"It's hard to hear sincere things like that, especially coming from someone other than Jace."

Hyuk smiled. "Are you hinting that I should say it more?" 

Eryn blinked. "What? No!"

Hyuk laughed, finding her reaction amusing. Honestly, he gave up denying it. He knew that he liked her genuinely. He didn't get the 'fluttery' feeling in him wasn't because he didn't like her. Eryn was different. She calmed his heart, made him feel warmth for once. He was able to be natural in front of her. 

And that's adding to the list of why he liked her. 

* * *

The rest of the class got back to the bus soon, with N. Mr Seong had Hyuk's bag slung around his shoulder, the bag that was left at the cave when Hyuk left with Eryn. Mr Seong tossed it to Hyuk, who was sitting beside Eryn on the bus. He avoided N, looking back to Eryn. 

"You were saying about your mom?" Hyuk said. 

"She passed away when I was younger, but I was old enough to understand stuff then, and I knew that it was my dad's fault. He didn't care." Eryn sighed. "And she-" 

She stopped, her hand flying to her left wrist. 

"Wait."

"What?" Hyuk asked, confused.

"My bracelet." 

Eryn started frantically digging her pockets, turning them inside out, and looking at the ground around her. 

"Hold up. What bracelet?" 

"The bracelet I always wear! The brown one with the charm!" Eryn exclaimed. 

Mr Seong walked past their seat right at that moment, noticing Eryn's outburst. 

"What's wrong?" 

"Mr Seong! I lost my bracelet," Eryn said, trying to be calm. "My late mother's."

Hyuk widened his eyes. He didn't expect to be of such importance. 

Mr Seong sighed, before turning to the noisy class.

"Everyone! Please listen!" he boomed. The chatters slowly died down. "Did anyone see Eryn's bracelet? Brown in colour!" 

Mutters of 'nos' were heard, and shuffling of people looking for it.

"We'll have to conduct a bag check if it's like that, everyone," Mr Seong grumbled. 

Groans and complains were heard. "Whoever did it just admit it!" someone shouted from the back, followed by choruses of acknowledgement. 

Mr Seong counted down from five, and when no one said anything, he started doing a bag check from the front row. 

When Mr Seong reached our row, he took Hyuk's bag from his lap, opening it. 

"It's not him, Mr Seong, canㅡ" Eryn said.

"I know that too, but I have to do this to you too to be fair to everyone," Mr Seong said, before opening the front pocket of the bag. 

Hyuk sighed. "There's nothing in the front pocket, soㅡ" 

"Nothing?" Mr Seong pulled out the brown leather. Eryn's bracelet.