Chapter 29

「Chapter 29: N's words & Hyuk's past」

=Eryn's POV=

Rachelle had stopped rambling after a while. I didn't realize when she had went silent since the class were still making loads of noise all the same. It was practically a zoo at the back of the bus — the boys kept standing up and freely moved from seat to seat.

"You know," N started, and I turned away from the window where I was admiring the calm seaside view. My now almost-empty bottle of milk was grasped loosely in my hand.

"Yeah?"

"You seem really into yourself," he said. I knitted my brows together, not understanding what he meant.

"I mean, since the first day you came here, you kept to yourself so much. And when I say 'so much', I mean literally excessively. To the point where you even made the students start commenting on you."

I widen my eyes. "Really? Over what? Did I do something I shouldn't do?"

I tried to rethink the events that happened on the first day, skipping the insignificant ones. Then I remembered.

"Will you stop bringing that up? I already explained it to you when you dragged me to the park," I huffed.

N held both his hands up in defense. "I didn't even mention anything yet!"

"Yeah, yeah, but we all know what you mean, don't we?" I said, sneering at him and stifling my bubbling laughter when he sighed in exasperation. I drank the remaining milk from the bottle, emptying it.

"And here I am, trying to start a decent conversation," N grumbled, pouting and looking away from me.

"Sorry then." I shrugged. "So what were you gonna say?"

N turned back to me, hesitating whether to continue with his planned words.

"Well, I'm just trying to tell you not to keep to yourself so much. Everyone's great here," he said, sounding just a little unsure of his last sentence.

"Really?" I probed.

"Yes."

"Hand to your heart, really?"

"Eryn!"

I burst out laughing as N muttered a few 'Oh my God's. "Fine, fine! Go on."

"I really wonder when we'll have a proper conversation together," he muttered, a chuckle escaped his lips as I couldn't stop my snickers. "It's so hard to even have a smooth-flowing conversation with you!"

I laughed even harder at that.

"As I was saying!" he said, his lips still pulled up to a smile.

"Be more free and open, no one's gonna hurt you, you know," he continued. My giggles faded, and I tried to stop a frown from forming on my lips.

"You're really interesting, to me, and I really want to know more about you. We're already hitting off well," he stated. I shot him a weak smile.

"I mean, take it slow, I'm not trying to pressurize you for us to become great friends overnight or anything," he reassured, smiling back. I nodded, telling him I knew he didn't meant that.

I didn't know how to reply him, so I just said one word.

"Thanks."

=Author's POV=

Hyuk could hear Eryn's melodious laughter coming from the seat in front of him, and he heard N speak a few muffled sentences, but managed to make out one of them.