Chapter 13

「Chapter 13: Intensive heart talk with N」

=Author's POV=

"Hey!" N exclaimed a bit too loudly, flinching as Eryn glared at him, gesturing for him to keep quiet. N walked to her side.

"I'm serious about this! What-"

"I'm serious that it's a long story too," Eryn interrupted impatiently, all the while looking around cautiously for teachers or security guards. "Too long a story to be explained or said."

N shrugged freely, leaving her to do the look-out job. "Well, I've got the whole night to listen."

Eryn let out a breath of frustration. "You should spend more time revising your work. You have the whole night but I'm not even a quarter done with my homework," she deadpanned, before coming to an abrupt stop at a two-way juncture. She hadn't memorized the routes of the whole campus yet, and running away from the patrolling teacher made her lose her way. The darkness wasn't exactly helping either.

N sensed this and he tugged on her elbow lightly to the right walkway. She looked down, embarrassed.

"Leave the homework. Probably a good two-third of the class didn't even bother to touch it. They can die with you in the hands of the subject teachers tomorrow," he said, earning a second glare from Eryn when he wasn't looking. But after hearing what N said, she contemplated actually doing that.

"So? Accompany me to the park?" N asked after she kept silent.

"Eryn-ah!" Eryn looked up. They were already at the main gate and Jace was anxiously waiting for her outside. He waved her to get out quickly.

"Who's that?" N asked.

"Let's get out first before talking," Eryn muttered quickly, running to the gate and throwing her bag over. Jace caught it and she hastily climbed over the gate before N did, both landing softly and safely.

"My brother," Eryn said, gesturing at Jace. "Jace."

"Who's he? Made a new best friend in school already?" Jace questioned, a cheeky smile creeping onto his lips as he scanned N without making it too obvious.

"What? No!" Eryn denied. N narrowed his eyes at her, then turned to Jace.

"Nice to meet you Jace, I'm N." N extended a hand and Jace shook it politely.

"Nice to meet you too... N," Jace said hesitantly, internally confused about his name.

"His name's Hakyeon. 'N' is just for show," Eryn clarified after seeing the look on her brother's face. Jace just 'ohh-ed'.

"What do you mean 'just for show'!" N exclaimed, feeling a bit insulted although he knew Eryn didn't mean it. She sneered jokingly.

"Isn't it the truth?" she said, earning a push on her shoulder from N. She stumbled.

"Yah!"

N just smiled in satisfaction.

Jace smiled, but went into the car, urging her to get in too as he started up the engine again.

"So are you heading home?" N asked quietly, trying not to let Jace hear him. It's a little weird to ask in front of her brother. Eryn hesitated, glancing at her brother for a moment.

"Jace?" she called out to him. His car window was down so he heard her.

"Yeah?"

"Erm... Can I take a walk around the park behind our school? Just for a while. I think I need some fresh air," Eryn mumbled, unsure herself.

Jace frowned slightly. "That's something new. You never dare to go out yourself, even in broad daylight."

"Heh.. I guess..." Eryn stuffed her hands into her jacket pockets.

"Okay then. Call me later," Jace said, and Eryn nodded, waving as Jace drove off. Then she turned to N and kicked him in the shin.

"Hey! It hurts!" he winced, bending down to rub the area where Eryn had kicked.

"You should be glad I agreed to follow you," she said, turning to walk to the park.

N clicked his tongue in annoyance before catching up with her.

"Anyway, how did you know my name is Hakyeon? I don't think I ever told you that and you don't exactly talk to anyone else to get that information," N questioned.

"I saw it on the yearbook," Eryn replied simply.

"Oh..." N trailed off. "Why was the yearbook with you then?"

Eryn pressed her lips into a line. "You ask too much questions, loudmouth."

* * *

They sat down on a bench in the park. It was quiet and almost deserted. The lights beside the sidewalks weren't that bright either. There was an awkward silence.

"Well, I'm waiting for you to start you oh-so-long story," N said.

"I just fainted, that's all actually," Eryn spoke. N rolled his eyes.

"Give me the details," he said. She shrugged, leaning back onto the wooden bench and staring off in the distance.

"If you haven't noticed, I actually faint quite a lot, it's not exactly unusual," Eryn started, pointing out the time when she fainted at the locker hall. N nodded as he recalled the incident.

"You scared the living shit out of me then. I thought I mentally killed you or something," he mumbles.

"Please, you're not that hot to be able to actually mentally kill anyone." Eryn rolled her eyes.

N rolled his eyes too. "You know I don't mean that."

Eryn scoffed.

"Do you have a weak immune system or something?" N probed into the topic.

"Maybe. Doctor never says it though."

"What do you mean?"

"I had to go to hospitals a few times for checkups because of my constant-" Eryn stopped and corrected herself. "-Because I fainted for no reason."

"Like the locker hall incident," N said, nodding in agreement, much to Eryn's irritation.

"That was because you kept holding me back and I looked into your eyes!" Eryn blurted out.

"I was trying to be caring!" N retorted, then eyed Eryn confusedly. "...What do you mean, you fainted because you looked into my eyes?"

"Ahhh, it's nothing," Eryn quickly brushed the topic off. She tried to keep a straight face, but her cheeks felt sore from being molded falsely.

N leaned towards her and kept his gaze on her, making Eryn shift uncomfortably. She was about to go on with the conversation to divert his attention when N spoke.

"You mean you can't look into my eyes?"

∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

A/N:

HOLAAA EVERYBODY

how ya'll doing, loves?

I changed the book cover of this book, is it okay? heheh.

school's starting next next week and I have workshops & dance training next week so my holidays kinda end this week ㅠㅠ