Chapter 28

「Chapter 28: Banana Milk」

=Eryn's POV=

"Meet your tour guide, everyone," Mr Seong said, formally gesturing to a lady beside him. She donned a simple blue polo tee with fitting jeans and boots. She looked like she was in her late twenties to her early thirties. Her unique light eye colours and high nose made me doubt if she was from South Korea.

"Hello there!" she started chirpily, and everyone greeted her back. "My name is Rachelle, Min Rachelle. You can simply address me as Rachelle, and I'll be acting as your tour guide for the entire ten days you'll be spending here in Jeju Island. I hope we all get along well and have lots of fun!"

Loud cheers followed, and I let out a heavy breath. I hoped everything would go well for these ten days.

Mr Seong quickly made us quieten down, reminding us that we were still in the airport. We all boarded another bus which was waiting for us outside the airport. I guess  it'll be taking us to the campsite.

I sat on one of the window seats somewhere near the center of the bus since the teachers and tour guide was in front and the monkeys were at the back. I suspected that the tour guide was going to talk a lot at the front, so the middle of the bus was probably where I could get the most peace and quiet.

N took the seat beside me. I wasn't sure if he was willing to or not because I pretty much just pulled him into the seat the moment he walked past. He chuckled and just sat down as rest of the boys went behind us. I didn't see Ken and Ravi so I guess they were somewhere in front. The two of them stuck together a lot, I had noticed.

Apparently, I didn't get the peace I wanted, even by sitting at the middle of the bus. The tour guide, Rachelle, spoke through a mike and her voice could be heard clearly through the electronic speakers fixed all around the bus.

She started rambling about how the games were gonna be fun as long as we participate and stuff like that. She also mentioned that the bus ride would take less than an hour if there was no traffic. I scoffed. No traffic? There was 'traffic' even at the arrival hall of the airport, for God's sake.

She somehow started a lively chat with the rest of the students, and they all seemed to like her. It's not that I had any grudge against her or anything, I just didn't want to participate in this meaningless conversation. It was too raucous.

From my seat, I could barely get a glimpse of Rachelle too, so I just leaned back and plugged my earpiece into my ears. I raised the volume high enough to block out her words and looked out of the window at the peaceful roads. Which didn't make sense since the airport was beyond crowded, but I'll just appreciate the emptiness for now.

The earpiece on my left ear got tugged out by the wire, and I looked at N.

"What is it?" I asked, taking the other earbud back from him, but leaving it on my lap as I run my fingers through my untied hair.

"Are you hungry?"

I gave him a sheepish grin, my hands flying to my stomach. "How'd you guess?"

He clicked his tongue, raising an eyebrow, smirking. "Because I am too."

I laughed.

"I have food in my bag, do you want some?" he asked, patting his backpack, leaning out of his seat for a moment to make sure none of the teachers were coming down the aisle.

"What?" I exclaimed, my voice cracking.

"Keep your voice down, you high-pitched idiot!"

I quickly glanced around. "I thought no food and drinks allowed on the bus? And none were supposed to be on the plane, too!" I exclaimed again in a hushed tone, smacking his arm. Bringing food and drinks onto the bus wasn't exactly a big deal, but bringing them onto the plane was.

"Ow! I didn't bring it onto the plane, God damn it!" he exclaimed. "I got them from my luggage after we got them from the luggage belt!"

I widen my eyes in realization. "Oh."

He stealthily took out a mini bottle of something his bag. I caught a glimpse of another identical bottle inside his bag. It looked like Yakult because of the bottle shape, but it was bigger and didn't have the Yakult label on it.

"What's that?" I asked.

"Banana milk," he said, grinning. "My favourite."

"When you said you had food, I expected snacks and stuff, not this," I muttered, slightly disappointed, but didn't take my eyes of the drink.

"You don't want it? Fine by me! I can have the other one another time," he said, poking a straw through the aluminum foil cover and bringing it to his mouth.

"Wait!"

He ignored me and started taking sips of the banana milk.

"Give me one, please?" I asked. I was really craving for something to consume, and since he liked it, it couldn't be too bad, right?

"I thought you didn't want one," he teased. I rolled my eyes, and he laughed, taking out the other bottle with a straw and passing it to me.

"Thanks," I said, smiling at him gratefully. I poked the straw in and hesitantly took a first sip.

"How is it?" he asked.

"It's nice!" I replied, drinking more. It was sweet.

He gave me "I-told-you-so" look.

"Hide it if the teacher comes," he whispered, and I just laughed and nodded. I'm sure I would've finished it by the time anyone walks past us.