Chapter 30

「Chapter 30: Bunk Mates」

=Eryn's POV=

The bus reached the campsite in about an hour, which made me doubtful since the airport was literally packed like a can of sardines. By right, the roads would've been packed too. But the bus still did make it to the campsite quick.

Everyone stood up from their seats immediately after the bus stopped, pushing and shoving playfully to quickly get off the bus. I just stayed in my seat as I waited for the rest to get off. N stayed beside me too; I guess he noticed that I wasn't going to join the rough crowd.

I got off the bus last after N and looked around curiously. There were a couple of tall, greenish tents - not those kind of tents where you would lay your sleeping bag in and crawl inside to sleep, but tents tall enough for a grown adult to walk right in and served as a shelter. Each tent had a number pasted on one side.

I could spot at most three beds in each tent, and the tents were not very far apart from each other - maybe three meters of spacing in between?

The first question that came to mind was who my 'roommates' would be. I hadn't gotten close to much of the girls yet, which made me wary. It was going to be so awkward and unpleasant.

"Teacher!" One of my classmates whom I identified as Jackson, shouted out suddenly. "Can we please choose our own roommates?"

Murmurs of encouragements were heard.

I sighed, knowing that even if I had the freedom to choose who I was gonna bunk with, there was no one whom I could.

Mr Seong gave us a sarcastic smile, lifting up a list for all of us to see.

"Too bad, but I have already planned a list of your roommates," Mr Seong said cheerfully, earning loud groans from the class.

"There, there!" Rachelle, the introduced tour guide, spoke up as she clapped her hands together. "This is an opportunity for you guys to know each other better and not just stick in your on clique of friends! So stop frowning!"

"We have been together as a class for two years, we all know each individual well enough," another student spoke up. I bit my lip, feeling out of place.

Rachelle put her hands on her hip. I found her really cute, although we were both of the same gender. Rachelle didn't seem much older than any of us, maybe at most N's age, but she had to act like a mother.

"Really? How about the transfer student? I'm sure all of you would want to-"

"Ms. Rachelle!"

Surprised, I turned towards the owner of the voice - Hyuk - who was standing not too far away from me. Everyone's gaze turned from me to him.

"Shall we just read out the grouping names for the bunks? Our new transfer friend here isn't exactly fond of attention, you see," he said, glancing and me and shooting me a smirky grin.

I heard a couple of snickers and heat rushed to my face. I looked down, letting my free hair fall to cover my red cheeks. I don't know if I was thankful or irritated at Hyuk. He took the attention off me for just a moment, but the spotlight was back on me in the next second.

I felt N gently grab my wrist, giving it a light and reassuring squeeze.

"It's alright, calm down," he whispered, and I exhaled sharply before looking back up slightly.

"Ms. Rachelle, let's just proceed, okay?" N told her.

"Oh, definitely, um..." Rachelle turned to Mr Seong, who handed her the list. She began reciting the names orderly, and I hadn't memorized everyone's names so I was quite lost, except for when they read out names that I was familiar with.

"Eryn, Kayla, Dawn - Tent 5," she read out, and I didn't know how to react as she continued down the list.

In the end, N, Ken and Hongbin were together in Tent 11 while Hyuk, Ravi and Leo were together in Tent 12. I was amazed at how the six of them managed stay together among their clique.

"Mr Seong is pretty much aware that the six of us are unbreakable. The whole school knows. So we pretty much always end up together in the same groups, since we don't exactly cause much problems for them even when we're together," N explained without me needing to ask.

"Oh, lucky you then," I muttered, before turning to him to ask him a question. "Who's Dawn?"

N looked around for a while, before his eyes stopped darting around. He nodded towards my right and I followed his line of gaze.

"That girl beside Kayla," he told me. I quickly identified her. She had hair chopped short slightly below her shoulders, and I could see light brown highlights complimenting her hair. She didn't have big nor small eyes and her nose was high.

"She's one of the girls from Q," N told me. "That's the name of Kayla's gang."

I frowned. "Is it necessary to say they're a 'gang'?" I said, turning to glance at their group, which was huddled together. "They seem really kind."

N scoffed. "Trust me, the last word you would want to use on them is 'kind'. They're everything opposite from all the positive adjectives in the dictionary."

I scrunched up my nose. "That's harsh."

N looked at me and laughed.

"Alright, attention back here!" Rachelle raised her voice to be heard over the noisy class.

"You may all go to your tents and park your bulky luggage in there," Rachelle said, pointing to our luggage. "Looks like you all brought your entire wardrobe here, huh?"

Sheepish laughter erupted, especially from the girls, before everyone started moving off to their own tents. N and I separated as he left to look for his own tent.

When I found the tent labelled number 5, I went in and saw Kayla and Dawn already there. I didn't know how to greet them, but they greeted me first.

"Hey! Eryn, right?" Dawn said, smiling as she stretched out a hand. I returned the smile and nodded.

"Yeah. Nice to meet you, Dawn," I said, giving her a soft handshake.

"Hey, Eryn! I'm Kayla, I think you should know me," Kayla said, smiling too.

"Of course," I told her honestly. "You're really popular."

She laughed, brushing it off. "Hope we become good friends! Dawn and I are really easy-going, don't worry about anything."

I smiled again. They're nothing like N had described them to be - what would they have possibly done to make him have that impression of them?