Chapter 35

「Chapter 35: N knows」

=Eryn's POV=

We made our way into the cave as a whole class before being separated into groups after the Mr Seong and Rachelle decided that the class monkeys needed to be further apart. We went with our bunk mates, except for a few swaps of people between some groups that were too clashed. We were given a few tasks to do; like observing the structure of the cave and whatnot.

Kayla looked horrible ㅡ she probably couldn't sleep a wink last night. Her eyelids were drooping and her shoulders were slouched. Her feet barely skimmed the ground as she trudged along and altogether her limbs bore the appearance of being too heavy for her, as if she was personally struggling against far more gravity than anyone else.

I walked up to Dawn who was trying to get Kayla back to her senses. I glanced at Kayla apprehensively and softly nudged her. She peeled her eyes off her feet, turning to me.

"You alright?" I asked. She sighed in reply, not phrasing anything. I didn't know if she had a grudge against me or something ㅡ I mean, from what happened the previous day, I suspected that her imaginations would have gotten the better of her and she would have given me the cold treatment today. But it wasn't as bad as I'd feared. She still responded to me.

"She's just tired," Dawn said. "Let's just get the tasks done first."

I nodded, shooting Kayla one last worried look before walking in step with Dawn. Kayla followed close behind.

* * *

=Author's POV=

Hyuk brushed his fingers over the rough, uneven surface of the cave walls. If anyone fell and had their head hit this, they'd probably die, he thought. Ravi and Leo were further up front while Hyuk just lagged behind as he liked. That was how he was. Carefree.

He continued staring and tracing the rigged patterns of the cave walls, until he felt the familiar presence beside him. Hyuk didn't budge; didn't look up; didn't say anything.

"You like her too, don't you?"

Hyuk's hand stopped moving on the cave wall, and he let out a soft scoff as his hand dropped to his side.

"Who?" Hyuk asked, almost sarcastically, as he turned to face the questioner.

"Don't start your bull, Sanghyuk," N stated sharply. "You know clearly who I'm talking about."

"Eryn?" Hyuk pointed out, and N's gaze intensified deep inside. When N didn't reply in words, Hyuk took that as a yes.

"C'mon," Hyuk said. "You think I like her? It's been like, not up to a month."

"That's besides the point. You're never serious about girls, Hyuk, so don't pull off your fuckboy tactics on Eryn. You can do it to everyone else for all I care. Just not her."

Hyuk pressed his lips together in an insincere smile, looking down at his feet as he swung his leg down at the rocky ground once. Tiny stones on the ground clattered away at the impact.

"Why not?"

N clenched his jaw, releasing it a second later. "You know that full well too."

"No I don't."

"Don't play dumb with me, Hyuk. This isn't the time."

"I'm not."

N breathed out deeply, getting extremely annoyed.

"I like her," N snapped. "Now do you know why?"

Hyuk's expression melted into a monotonous look, his eyes empty.

Behind him, Leo and Ravi shouted out for him to catch up.

"Yeah," Hyuk said to N, his voice flat, not responding to the two boys behind him. "Now I know why."

* * *

=Eryn's POV=

The class finished the tasks a little over the given time, but the debriefing for whatever happened in Manjjangul Cave took just a few minutes which gave us half an hour of free time. Both Rachelle and Mr Seong were really chill teachers who weren't like those kinds of teachers that are 100% textbook based, which made everything much more fun.

So they cut short the debrief so that we could explore around more, and since 'whatever they said wouldn't get into our heads anyway'.

Everyone scattered after that with their own clique of friends, and I took a sip of water from my bottle before someone heavily placed their hands on my shoulders. I flinched and some water spilled out of the bottle. I was ticklish, and that was way too sudden.

I quickly swallowed my mouthful of water before I started to choke, and turned to the laughing N who was trying to apologize between his chuckles.

"N! I nearly suffocated!" I exclaimed.

"Eryn, you won't die from choking on water," N stated.

"Who says so?"

"Me."

I rolled my eyes, unintended laughter bubbling from my lips. "Shut up."

N giggled.

And at the side, without anyone knowing, Hyuk caught a glimpse of the scene.

* * *

=Hyuk's POV=

I was surprised, really, when N came to ask that question. I had the hinting feeling all along, it was almost obvious like an open book, that he had feelings for the new girl. It wasn't really imaginable though. Eryn had been here for barely a month. But I guess since she depended a lot on N after she transferred here... It'd be natural for them to become this close, right? I mean, they're of opposite genders after all. Opposites attract, don't they?

I understood what N told me. He just wanted to protect the one he loved. No further explanation needed. But I thought he knew I'd changed ㅡ or at least, have been trying to change for the better. I wasn't a fuckboy anymore. Not as much as I was last time.

I'm confused too, though. My feelings for Eryn, that is. Is the reason why I'm getting so affected over things that involve her because of my ways in the past? I don't know. It's been long since I had been like how I was, I can't even differentiate what's real and what's not.

It's bugging me so much, I wanna just prove it to myself that I'm no longer having the habits of my past self, and that the reason why Eryn runs through my mind so much is because I like her too.

﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

[A/N]

Heyyo!
I know I haven't updated for like three ~ four weeks (counting from my previous chapter, chap 34). School started last week for me, and I'm Secondary 2 now (generally 8th grade for those in other countries. I'm still somewhat small, I know hehe). It's my streaming year and it's a pretty important school year for me so I'm trying my best to be focused in school.

I don't want things to stray this year bc I really want to get into Junior College so I can advance to University more easily. I'm still going to continue this book, so don't worry too much !! I know I've been listing many reasons of why I don't update as often as some other writers who update a couple times a week, I'm really sorry guys. I'm trying my best and I have to balance many, many things now so everything's kinda cramped for me.

Do feel free to send me a message if you'd like! I'm still active, it's just a little hard for me to find time to complete a chapter, but I'd definitely reply to your comments and messages!

How do you think this story will flow through and end? Comment, I'm really interested of how you're interpreting this book ;)

Also, a (really) late happy new year's to all of you! Have a fruitful 2017 babes <3

~Jaelyn ♡