Chapter 12

「Chapter 12: Hunt for Eryn's bag 」

=Author's POV=

Jace and Eryn got into the car.

"Did you tell Mom? Or Dad?" Eryn asked Jace. He shook his head.

"Not yet."

"Good. Don't tell them. Not like anything good would come out of it," Eryn muttered.

Jace eyed Eryn as he contemplated to do so.

"Put on your seatbelt, will you?" Jace said as he reversed the car out of the parking lot. Eryn obediently did so, reminding him again to not bring up this matter to their parents. Jace had do swear that he wouldn't, before Eryn changed the topic.

"Get me back to the school first. My bag is there."

"Can't you get it tomorrow? Will the school's gate still be open at this timing? I already drove past it," Jace grumbled.

"Just make a U-turn back. My phone and wallet is inside," she told him casually, fighting to hold back a yawn which almost escaped her lips in mid-sentence, making her look like a chimpanzee. Jace sighed in reply as he turned back the car.

The sun was already setting and the sky began to darken. The school gate was closed. Eryn muttered something inaudible under her breath.

"I'll climb over the gates. The detention room isn't too far into the school compound so I can be back out in fifteen minutes at most," Eryn told Jace, unlocking the car door.

"The lights inside are all turned off and it's dark! What if patrolling teachers see you? Or students who live in the hostel behind the teaching blocks? You'll get ten times more hours of detention," Jace exaggerated, locking the car door again before Eryn could push it open. "

"I won't get caught." Eryn glanced into the school for any flashing lights or signs of people walking about. There were none, and she glanced back at Jace.

"Wait here for me. I'll be out really quick, trust me," she said, but as she left the car, she felt unsafe all by her own.

Eryn easily climbed over the two-meter gate. Or maybe it was a few centimeters higher. She soundlessly jumped off from the top of the gate, landing softly on the ground. She ran in, trying to run fast without making too much noise.

She got to the detention room in five minutes and opened the door. Her bag was lying there, on the floor now. She rushed in and grabbed her bag. Eryn was about to get out of the class when she heard soft thumping on the ground, across the hallway of the classroom. No, it was someone walking. She cursed silently and quickly hid behind the wall beside the door.

The sounds were coming in her direction, she noticed.

=Eryn's POV=

I don't know whether I was scared or simply urgent to leave. My heart was thumping against my chest and my palms were sweaty. I would describe it as how it always goes in horror movies - I was petrified. The school grounds aren't haunted, right?

I peeped out of the door and looked down the empty, eerie hallway. There was nobody, but I was sure that the sounds were still there.

I made a run for it. I ran right out of the detention room, past the other classrooms, and when I reached the 'cross juncture' of the level, I saw light in front. A teacher was patrolling the area. I tried to turn and run in the opposite direction, but I was tugged into the studio beside the walkway and pushed against a corner of the room. There wasn't even time for me to scream. My legs had lost its strength, so I stumbled into the room when whatever pulled me in and dropped to a squatting position.

Before I could shout for help, a hand clamped over my mouth and I struggled to see what was in front of me in the darkness. My muffled voice was heard as I clawed at the hands, trying to get them off my mouth.

"Shut up for a second, will you?" A familiar voice said. I stiffened.

"I'm N, I'm N. Not any ghost or whatever you're thinking of." He spoke so fast and softly I could barely hear him.

I kept quiet, and I could hear the teacher walking away. N took his hand away from my mouth and lifted his phone which had its flashlight on. I tried to control my heavy panting.

"You okay?" he asked, and I didn't say anything.

"What are you doing here? You aren't supposed to be in the school at this hour," he told me.

"You aren't supposed to be here too!" I retorted in a hushed whisper. "I needed to get my bag."

"Ahhh... So that's why," he nodded in understanding. His face was so close to mine, I got uneasy. I looked down and brushed my fingers through my hair. N noticed and moved backwards.

"I thought you had detention with Sanghyuk? Why would you leave your bag in school, anyway?" N probed further. I had to pause for a second to remind myself that Sanghyuk was actually Hyuk.

"Don't ask. It's a long story," I said, standing up.

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

A/N:

Have I been gone for long? I think I have.

I'm sorry for not updating much on my other book <MIXED CRYSTALS> ! I sometimes have no inspiration to continue that story heh.... But dont worry I'll try to update soon!