Chapter 36

「Chapter 36: Hyuk's confession?」

=Author's POV=

"Hey, Eryn!" Hyuk shouted out to the girl who was still staring in awe at the rock formations.

"Hmm?" she mumbled in response, turning to turn her body to face Hyuk but her eyes were still glued to the dull but shining colours of the rock surface. Was it because of moisture in here? She thought.

"I've got a question," Hyuk went straight to the point.

"Shoot," she replied, her gaze never leaving the walls.

"Can we go out? For a while?" Hyuk sighed.

Eryn turned to him, curious now. "Out? Out where?"

"Just somewhere where there aren't so many people around," he said, eyeing the other students about four meters away from them.

Eryn pressed her lips together. Hyuk mimicked her, and ended up dragging her by the arm out of the cave.

"Hey-!"

Eryn had to blink a couple of times to get used to the light — it was pretty dim in the cave and her eyes weren't accustomed to the direct light outside. It was the sea right below them, and the sound of waves splashing against the shores calmed Eryn.

"This had better work," Hyuk muttered as quietly as he could to himself.

"You were saying?"

"I like you." Hyuk said that sharply, cleanly, quickly. He stared at her as he waited for a reaction. He stared at her, expecting butterflies to form in his stomach. Maybe a whole zoo. But they didn't come.

Eryn blinked repetitively — this time it wasn't the light.

"What?"

Hyuk sighed and shook his head. This wasn't right. By everything right in this world, if you said that to someone you like, you were 'supposed' to feel that fluttery, heart-skipping feeling in you, but Hyuk felt nothing. Nothing — at all.

"Sorry, it's nothing. I had to try something, that's all," he told her. "Don't take anything to heart."

With that, he went off, back to wherever the rest of the class was.

Eryn furrowed her eyebrows, still in confusion, but turned to follow him.

Suddenly, bright white flashed in front of her, and she found her self not being able to find her balance, and as if something just tugged her backwards, she fell onto the rocky path. She couldn't see anything, but ringing vibrated through her eardrums, with muffled calls that she couldn't make out.

"Eryn!" Hyuk was by her side the moment he heard the rocks crackle against each other behind him. His arms were wrapped behind her, lifting her up.

"Eryn, will you wake up!" he shouted. Her eyes were open, but they seemed literally empty, not focusing on anything, her pupils dilated.

Hyuk shook her once more, and her eyes seemed to finally come into focus. There was a temporary moment of her still being blurred about everything, but she finally turned to Hyuk in recognition.

"You alright?" he asked urgently. She'd better not pass out in my arms again, because I will piss myself.

"Huh?" Eryn sat up, shaking her head to clear the fogginess. "Yeah, of course."

"Let's go get water. You're dehydrated."

"How would you know?" Eryn questioned, her fingers brushing her neck. He didn't reply that.

He took out a pill bottle from his pocket, pouring out one and handing it to Eryn.

"Swallow that. You'll get kind of sleepy, but it'll help. And it's better than you passing out so much."

Eryn scrutinized it, suspicious.

"I won't poison you, idiot. Swallow it. It doesn't taste horrible too."

Eryn gave it one last judgemental look and popped it into her mouth, gulping it down.

Hyuk let out a long breath, standing up before offering her a hand. She gratefully took it, pulling herself up unsteadily.

"Do you need me to carry you back?"

"No! I can walk," she protested.

"Yeah, sure," Hyuk said sarcastically, scanning her wobbly self. He grabbed her arms, putting them over his shoulders before hoisting her up on his back.

"We may have walked too far out," he said, chuckling. Eryn hummed in reply, her head already resting on his shoulder.

"Do you have any relations to a doctor?" Eryn asked, her eyes half closed. The medicine's side effect, most probably.

Hyuk hesitated for a moment. "Yeah. Kind of," he said. "My dad."

"No wonder you knew the effects of dehydration," Eryn said. She was half-asleep, and just emotionlessly talking. "I've got one too. My dad. But he's a horrible person."

"Why?"

"He left my mom. And got another woman. A disgusting one."

Hyuk chuckled at her language.

"He left mom to die," Eryn said, almost sounding drowsy. "And he didn't care."

Hyuk felt his sleeve at his shoulder moisten, and he looked back at Eryn who had her face turned facing out.

"Hey, don't cry," Hyuk said. When Eryn had no response, he guessed that she had fallen asleep.

"You don't need to care about a jerk like him," he said. "Everyone else if here for you. You have your brother, you have your friends, you have N..."

He trailed off, hesitating once again.

"Well, you have me too, to a certain extent."

* * *

"Eryn! Hyuk!" Everyone called out messily, rushing towards the two, noticing the unconscious Eryn on Hyuk's back.

"She's just asleep from medication, she's alright," he assured everyone, especially the teachers.

"Hyuk, you know you need to obtain permission before feeding anyone any sort of medicine!" Mr Seong chided.

"Yes, I know, Mr Seong," Hyuk said, jerking Eryn up as gently as possible to stop her from sliding off his back. "But she was this close to passing out, I couldn't do nothing."

"What's going on?" N squeezed through the crowd of students, seeing Eryn and Hyuk. "What happened!?"

Hyuk rolled his eyes.

"Everything's alright N, it's just medication," Mr Seong explained quickly. "Hyuk, bring her back to the bus on the other side, will you? You can't carry her around in that state."

Hyuk nodded.

"I'll take her to the bus, Mr Seong," N interrupted.

"No, it's fine, I'll go," Hyuk retorted.

Mr Seong grumbled. "Why not the both of you just go and have duty switches on the way?"

"Whatever!" The both of them said in sync, making everyone laugh. Only they themselves didn't find the situation funny.