Chapter 23

「Chapter 23: Packing」

=Eryn's POV=

I let out a long, sharp breath through my mouth.

"So did anything interesting happen in school today?" Jace enquired. I didn't know if he was asking for the sake of asking, but it seemed like it. I turned to him.

"I don't know, I got really mad at one of my classmates but he didn't really offend me or anything," I mumbled, rubbing my nape. "He did tease me a little during class but it wasn't exactly a big matter either."

"Why would you get mad? You never do, you only get scared," Jace said, turning into the garage of our house.

"I don't know either," I said, unbuckling my seatbelt just before he pulled over.

Jace let out a long sigh, unbuckling his too and turning off the engine. "What am I gonna do with you?"

I chuckled lightly.

"Also, what was it about a camp?" Jace asked suddenly, making me cringe and bite my lips. "N was talking so loudly about it back there."

"Uh, well..." I hesitated, my creative mind crafting up all sorts of excuses, in which all seemed ridiculous and too see-through. Jace raised an eyebrow at me, clearly knowing what I was trying to do. I smiled innocently.

"You know you can't lie to me."

I gave up, relenting. "Yeah, yeah. I have a camp next Monday but I don't want to go and have no intentions to go."

"But it's just a camp and you told N you had already packed. You can't turn your back on this," Jace said as we walked towards the main door. I clicked my tongue. Did he listen to our whole conversation or something?

"But I'm not familiar with most of them yet, it'll be so awkward and everything," I argued as Jace unlocked the door with a card. With a beep and a push, the white wooden doors swung open.

"You're gonna go," Jace stated casually.

"Jace, you know you can't ㅡ"

"I know you'll be fine. I promise. N will be there, won't he? You guys are already getting along so well."

"We aren'tㅡ" I started, but stopped. I knew that it was true. In fact, I had became really dependent on N. He helped me so much ever since I came here, subtly. Jace noticed my hesitation and smirked.

"Go on up and get that form out of your bag. And start packing already," Jace said, heading to the kitchen to grab a glass of water, as he always would. It had became a habit of his.

"You're talking so much like Mom," I said softly, smiling slightly at the memories of her, but quickly pushing the thoughts away when I felt a prickly sensation at the back of my eyes. Jace frowned a little, but he smiled again so soon, as if that frown was never there. Was it?

"Come up after you're done, I need help with the packing and everything," I said and made my way upstairs to my room.

Jace came up ten minutes later, and I hadn't started packing at all.

"Hey, what are you doing?"

"Was waiting for you to come up," I stated simply, standing up from my bed. I pulled the untouched consent form from my bag, showing it to Jace. He scanned through it quietly.

"It's seven days," he murmured seriously. "That's really long, I expected at most five days or something."

I nodded. "Yeah, I know. Soㅡ"