Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Adrian was the one to open my door.  At first, I was surprised to see him there.  In the past few days since Owen's been back, we'd hardly talked at all.  I could always feel his eyes on me, though. 

"Hey," he said, shutting the door behind him.

I sat up and moved to lean against my pillows.  "What's up?" I asked.

He shook his head as he walked toward the side of my bed.  "Nothing," he said.  "I just haven't talked to you since..."

"Since Owen came back," I finished for him. 

He nodded.  "Yeah," he said.  He paused for a moment and then took a deep breath.  "So how are you dealing with everything?  Are you okay?"

I shrugged.  "I guess," I said, pulling my knees up to my chest.  "Well, as okay I can do with all of this."

His eyes were still locked on me.  "And Owen?  How are you dealing with that?"

I stared back at him as everything that I'd been holding in was about to burst out of my chest.  Tears welled up in my eyes and spilled over until I found myself sobbing.  I leaned forward, wrapping my arms tightly around him. 

"I hate it!" I cried.  "I can't stand being around him because he can't remember anything, but at the same time I can't keep away!"

"Shh," Adrian said, rubbing my back to try and calm me down.  "It's going to be okay."

"But what if it won't?" I whispered.  "What if he doesn't remember anything from before?  Doesn't remember what we had together?  What if he never loves me like I love him?  What if, in a few years, he wants to move away and finds someone else to love?  I don't think I would be able to take it if that happened!"

Adrian took my shoulders in his hands and pushed me back so he could look at me. 

"If that happens, there's nothing you can do about it.  Just let him go do whatever he wants," he said.

Eyes wide with tears, I opened my mouth to say something, but he cut me off.

"I'm not finished," he said, smiling slightly.  "But he could get his memory back and remembers you.  Whatever happens, I'll be there no matter what, okay?"

"You will?" I asked. 

He nodded.  "Of course," he said, and then he grinned.  "But even if he does remember that he loves you, I'm still going to try to get you to pick me."

I laughed, wrapping my arms around him again and closing my eyes.  "Okay.  Deal," I said. 

We stayed like that for a few moments.  I could have sworn I heard someone on the other side of my door, but I was probably just imagining it. 

Adrian pulled me back and looked at my face again.  As I looked at him, I could see something in his eyes, something that I hadn't seen since the first time he kissed me. 

And that's just what he did then.

I might have tried to fight him off for the first few moments his lips were on mine, but then I willingly surrendered. 

Adrian's lips moved against mine, our breath mingling together.  The tingles started to spread throughout my body as I tightened my hold on him.  His fingers weaved through my hair, pulling me even closer.

"Sorry," he said, pulling away a few long moments later.  "I couldn't help myself."

I shook my head, resting my forehead against his.  "It's okay," I said quietly.  "I needed that."