Chapter 5

Chapter 5

So, um...sleeping with Owen that night just might have started a new habit.  Because when I woke up Sunday morning and realized that I was still in bed with him, lying across his chest to be more precise, it didn’t feel awkward at all.  Just like everything else, it felt right

We’d stayed in his room for almost an hour after we were both awake, just talking about anything and everything.  I was careful of what I told him, though, so I didn’t tell him too much. 

He wanted to know about my parents and I told him that I hadn’t seen them since the day in the hospital before I was sent to Rutherford, which was true.  I also told him about Alex, but told him that he’d died in the D.C. attacks the few months before.  They had still been talking about it on the news and he’d seen some of the footage. 

I wished that he remembered something about his life just so I’d just be able to shut up.  I hated just talking about myself. 

Owen looked pretty content to just lying there and watch me as I talked, though.  He just leaned back against his pillows with his hands behind his head.  It took almost everything in me not to just lie down and curl up next to him like I had woken up.   

The rest of the day, all of us just lounged around the house.  Chloe was with Arin and Variel all day in her room.  I think they were playing dress up with all of the clothes that Sarah had gotten for her, trying to pick out an outfit for her first day at school.  The boys were in the living room watching movies and eating the ten boxes of pizza that they’d ordered around eleven.  I saved one for us girls before they attacked it with a vengeance.

Like the night before, I snuck into Owen’s room after everyone had fallen asleep.  When I shut the door quietly behind me, I turned to see him staring up at his ceiling.  When he finally realized I was walking silently toward the bed, a smile crept on his lips as he pulled back the covers and moved over for me.  I fell asleep just as his hand grabbed onto mine.

The next morning – Monday morning – we both woke up at six-thirty at the sound of Chloe’s laughter down the hallway. Unlike the morning before, I wasn’t lying across his chest, but the other way around.  One of Owen’s arms was under my head and the other one was around my waist as he lay halfway on top of me.  His face was buried into the side of my neck and I could feel his warm breath tickling my skin. 

Taking a deep breath, Owen kissed the side of my neck and my pulse jumped under his lips.  I don’t know if he knew just what he was doing, though.  It took him a few more moments to really wake up and lean up on one elbow to look down at me.  His eyes were bright as he stared down at me.  For a moment there, it was almost like my Owen – the one who remembered everything – was looking back at me.

“Good morning,” he said, his voice still husky from sleep.

“Morning,” I said back, just staring up at him.

A strand of his dark hair fell down across his forehead and, even though I tried to stop myself, I reached up and pushed it back, running my hand through his hair.  His eyes seemed to darken and flickered down to my lips just for a moment before a scream of laughter sounded down the hallway.

“Chloe, come on!” I heard Arin yell.  “Get dressed and then you can go wake up Lola!”

“But I want to wake her up now!” Chloe whined from what sounded like just outside the door. 

“You probably already did with all your laughing,” I heard Eric said then, laughing himself.  Huh, he was helping Arin get Chloe ready for school?  He didn’t even have to be up this early.  He’d already graduated.