Chapter 7

Chapter 7

When I pulled into the school parking lot, I was expecting to see the black Escalade parked in its normal spot near the back, but it was nowhere to be seen.  I drove the Mercedes to the back and parked, not bothering to get out just yet.  Everyone who was standing outside behind the school looked toward me, probably wondering who it was.  And just a few minutes later,  there they were. 

Trygg was driving with Variel in the passenger seat.  Variel waved when she saw me.  The Escalade pulled around and right up beside me.  I smiled as I grabbed my bag from the passenger seat and got out.  When I closed the door, I heard a lot of gasps and talking, eyes watching me.

"There you guys are," I said, just as Variel opened her door.  "I thought that you would have been here before I was."

Variel grinned.  "You try getting all of these boys ready!  It's torture!"

"Not as much torture as hearing your voice yelling at us to hurry up!" Maverick yelled from the other side of the Escalade. 

Variel rolled her eyes as the twins and Arin walked around.  Both Talen and Maverick grinned as they both sandwiched Variel in a hug.  Variel screamed and kicked until they finally let go of her.  She smacked them both upside the head and looked back at me. 

Sean had gotten out with Arin and the twins and was looking around at the school.  He looked a little nervous.  Who wouldn't, though?  I mean, he was starting at a new school. 

The back door opened and Adrian stepped out, smiling slightly at me, Arin right behind him.  But then Owen got out. 

My eyes immediately went to his, just like his went to mine.  I just stared at him for a few moment before Variel's voice brought me back. 

"It looks like everyone forgot about us," she said, looking back toward the school.

All of us looked toward the school then, only to see dozens of faces staring at us with shocked expressions.

"Or they remember that when we were last here, we were practically dragged out by guys in suits," Trygg said. 

"True," Arin said. 

All of us looked over at Adrian, who grinned sheepishly.  "Sorry," he said, and everyone laughed.

I looked back at Owen, who was now standing between Arin and Adrian.  I looked back at forth between the two of them, feeling my heart pulling between them at the same time. 

God, why did this have to be like this?  Why did I have to choose between two great guys?  I hated it!

"Well, let's get going," Arin said, looking straight at me.  She no doubt was listening to my internal monologue by the look of empathy in her eyes.  "Lola, you should take Owen to the office to get his schedule."

I raised an eyebrow.  "Even though he's going to have the same classes as me?" I asked

She rolled her eyes and glanced over at Adrian.

And Adrian.  Can't forget that, her voice said in my head. 

Thanks for the reminder, I thought. 

"Sean can go with you guys, too, to meet Principle McAdams and get his schedule," Trygg said, slapping him on the shoulder with a grin.  "Sorry to say that you probably won't have any classes with us, though you'll have lunch with us."

Sean looked a lot more nervous then.  "Thanks for making it so much better," he said sarcastically, making all of us laugh. 

As we started walking toward the back doors of the school, every pair of eyes were on us.  Most of them seemed to be focused on Owen, probably because he'd been thought to be dead until just a few days ago.  When we walked by, the names I heard the most were mine and Owen's...and mostly put together.  I think they knew what had happened to him since it was all over the news.