Chapter 3

Chapter 3

We didn’t think that going home would jog any of Owen’s memory, but it did bring back something.

“I remember it,” he said as he stepped out of the Escalade, looking up at the house.  “I remember the day that Mom and Dad bought it for me, though I can’t remember them.”  Owen looked over at Zack.  “Is that weird?  That I can remember some memories of my parents, but not earlier ones?”

Zack nodded, smiling slightly.  “You’re getting flashes.  They might not be in the right order exactly, but at least it’s something.”

Anne had gotten out of the other side and walked out to thread her arm through his.  “And Arin’s said that she’ll give both of us a tour of the house.  I haven’t been here in since your parents bought the place so I’m sure it looks different with everything inside.”

The two of them followed Arin inside through the front door.  I wanted desperately to follow them just so I could be beside Owen.  I hated not being there with him like I had for the past few days.  Now that he was home, he wouldn’t be in one room. 

I didn’t want to seem like a stalker if I followed him around either.  I knew that that wouldn’t help him adjust back into his life so I wasn’t even going to attempt it.

“Come on,” Sarah said, coming up beside me.  She took my hand in hers as I looked over at her and squeezed it.  “Let’s go inside and we’ll start making dinner.  That way hopefully Arin will be finished with her house tour by the time it’s finished and Owen can meet Chloe and the boys.”

I nodded as the rest of us headed into the house through the door in the garage. 

As we walked down the hallway, I could hear the television in the living room on.  Then, as we rounded the corner, I spotted Chloe lying on her stomach, looking up at it and watching with her eyes glued onto the screen. 

“Hey, sweetie,” I said as I walked toward her.  I heard everyone start for the kitchen, where the voices of Eric and Sean sounded. 

Chloe’s head snapped up at the sound of my voice and she squealed as she jumped up and ran toward me.

“Lola!” she said, laughing.  “You’re back!”

I smiled at her enthusiasm as I picked her up.  She wrapped her arms and legs around me as she kissed me on the cheek. 

“Yeah, we’re home,” I said.  “Have you been okay here with Adrian, Eric, and Sean?”

Chloe nodded, her blond curls bouncing.  “Yeah, we’ve had lots of fun!” she said. 

I smiled at her.  “Good,” I said.

Still holding onto her, I headed into the kitchen with everyone.  Sarah and Variel were getting out everything that we would need to make dinner.  It was a lot, but then again we were feeding almost twice as many people as we were before.  I sat Chloe down on the countertop and turned to meet a pair of eyes on me.

I didn’t expect Adrian to change in the few days that I hadn’t seen him.  The one thing that did change was me.  I had Owen back in my life, though he wasn’t the same as before. 

But I was still confused as to what was going on between me and Adrian.

“Hey,” he said, stopping in front of me.  I saw Chloe beaming up to him from the corner of my eye.  I couldn’t look away from him, though. 

“Hi,” I said quietly.

Adrian looked at me for another few moments before he stepped closer and wrapped me in a hug.  I melted into him, just wanting this kind of human contact.  I needed to be held.