Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Slowly, I walked up the driveway and onto the sidewalk that led to the front door.  I didn’t know if my parents or Alex were home, but I just wanted to see.

I hadn’t seen them since that day in the hospital.  I would have thought that they would have wanted to come see me after Zack got me out of Rutherford, but apparently not.  I had to admit that I was upset about that. 

Before I knew it, I was standing at the front door with my finger hovering over the doorbell.  It was weird that I felt like I had to ring the doorbell instead of just walking inside.  But then again, I didn’t live here anymore. 

I pressed my finger down on it and I could hear it chime from the inside of the house.  After a few moments, I heard footsteps coming toward the door and then the lock turning.  When the door opened, Alex was standing there

When he saw me, his jaw dropped and his eyes widened.

“Lola, w-what are you d-doing here?” he stumbled.

“I don’t know,” I said, shrugging.  I was just looking at him.  It was good to see him in person and in front of me.  “My feet just brought me here.  I needed time to think and...Well, here I am.”

“You walked all the way here from Rutherford?” he asked, eyes widening even more.  “It’s an hour drive by car!  And how did you even get away from that place?”

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion.  “Rutherford?  Why...”  I shook my head.  “Hold on.  Did you not know I got out of there almost a week ago?”

“What?” he gasped.  “No, I didn’t!”

“But Zack...I mean, Dr. Hill...told me that he got permission from Mom and Dad to bring me to his house instead of staying there.”

“So that’s why he was over here,” he said, realization in his eyes. 

“What do you mean?”

“He was over here a few days ago when I got home.  He was leaving, though, so I didn’t get to hear what they were talking about.  I guess you were what they were talking about,” he said.  He shook his head and stepped back from the doorway.  “Why are we still standing out here?  Come in.”

I stepped through the doorway and into the house.  Even though it had barely been two weeks, I felt like a stranger in my own home.

Truthfully, I didn’t think of this as my home anymore.  With me living at Owen’s house, it felt like home was there now.  Yes, I had people who loved me in both places, but this one I felt like I was just a temporary fixture now.  Since everything that happened on my birthday, everything changed more than I realized...and it started with this realization.

I followed Alex into the living room and we both sat down on the couch, facing each other.  He reached over for the remote on the coffee table and turned off the television before looking back at me.

“So where are Mom and Dad?” I asked.  I could tell that they weren’t home.

“Dad had a conference to go to in New York so they both went.  I think they were staying a few extra days just to have some time for themselves.  They should be back in a few days,” he said. 

I nodded and then looked around the room.  Nothing had really changed.

“So where are you at now?” Alex asked a moment later. 

I looked back at him and smiled.  “I’m living at Dr. Hill’s house,” I said.

He raised an eyebrow.  “Don’t all of those other fre…I mean, people…live with him also?” he asked.