Chapter 1

***I couldn't keep away from you guys for so long!***

Chapter 1

"...There are no reports of any civilian deaths in the attack at Valley Mall in Harrisonburg, Virginia, but there are many minor injuries.  One death has been reported.  It is believed to be Carlos Diego.  Mr. Diego was reported dead in the D.C. attacks late last September, but obviously that wasn't true.  He was believed to be connected with a terrorist group that was actually behind the D.C. attacks.  The government isn't saying much about the terrorist group, only that we need to be prepared for another imminent attack in the near future..."

I switched off the television that was mounted on the wall in the hospital room.  Sighing, I leaned back in the seat by the window of the room.  We were up on the fourth floor, so I could see the streets below.  I sat there for a few minutes, watching the few cars that went by at five in the morning, before I looked back over at the person lying in the bed.

I stared at Owen's face as he slept.  He'd been sleeping a lot in the last two days that we'd been here, but that was expected.  He'd suffered from a slight concussion, so the nurses had to wake him every hour or so to make sure he was alright.  He always feel asleep straight away after they did, but not before he looked at me. 

The doctors that were on Owen's case said that it was just a bad case of amnesia, one that caused him to forget himself completely.  All of us knew what was really wrong with him. 

In the days that we'd been in hospital, we talked with Owen, trying to tell him about himself.  Well, it was more like everyone else was.  All I could do was stare at him.  I hated that he couldn't remember anything...couldn't remember me. 

Apparently he got flashes of his past in his dreams as he slept.  He couldn't really make sense of what they were of, though, but at least it was something.  At least we knew that Alex's mind swiping didn't work as well as he probably thought it would have.

I sighed and looked back outside into the semidarkness.  The sun was just about to rise and I could see the sky turn a light purple in the distance. 

There was a slight rustling and I turned to see Owen just waking up.  He looked around the room until he looked toward me and stared. 

"You're still here, huh?" he asked.

All I could do was look at him.  I hadn't said a word to him since we arrived.  I knew that if I did, I'd probably burst into tears.  I mean, he was back with me, yes, but he really wasn't.  My Owen wasn't there anymore. 

"Are you planning on going back to your house anytime soon?  You don't have to stay here with me all the time."  He nodded his head toward the door.  "The suits don't look like they're going anywhere anytime soon," he said, referring to the government agents that were stationed outside his hospital room.  The two that had accompanied me and Adrian on our trip where the ones that were out there now.  I finally learned that their names were Stan and Michael.

"Do you plan on not talking to me, Lola?"

I had to swallow the lump in my throat when he said my name.  I closed my eyes for a moment before shaking my head.

"No, I just..."

I looked back at Owen, who looked like he was thinking about something really hard. 

"What?" I asked.

He looked at me for a few more moments before shaking his head slightly.  "Nothing," he said.  "It's just your voice..."