Chapter 1

Chapter 1

I never sleep in my own room anymore.  I haven't for the past three months that Owen's been gone.

The first night after the attack on D.C., I was crying so much, missing him, that I went into his room, grabbed one of us black t-shirts that he always wore, and put it on to sleep in so I could feel him with me at least somehow.  Then I'd crawled into his bed and held tightly onto his pillow, breathing in his scent. 

Since then, though, his scent has long since faded, but I still stayed in his room at night.  Just lying there made me feel comforted and like he was still with me.

The one thing that didn't make me feel comforted was that we never found Owen's body again after the attack.  We went back, looking through the thousands of people who were dead, but we couldn't find him.  We did find Caleb's body, though.  Seeing it make me want to bring him back to life just so I could kill him myself.

School was pretty much last on my list of priorities now.  My grades dropped and I was acting out all the time.  The teachers gave me some slack, though, seeing as I lot someone close to me.

Zack was the one to tell the school about Owen's death the Monday after the attacks.  School had been canceled the rest of the week after and resumed on Monday.  Apparently, there were quite a few people who had gone to my school who had been killed in the attack since they were there for some kind of conference for a club.  There was a memorial set up at the front of the school for them with their pictures, including Caleb's.  His football number had been retired in honor of him.  I wanted to rip it out of the glass case they’d put it in and burn it in my hands. 

Everyone thought that Carlos and Aspen died in the attack also, even though I knew they didn’t.  It really pissed me off to know that people were morning and crying over their ‘deaths’ when they weren’t really gone.

The news covered the attack on D.C. for weeks after it happened, saying that it was even worse than the 9/11 attacks.  Investigators were still trying to find and capture the people responsible.  I never saw if they finally figured it out because I hadn't had a vision about it.  I actually haven't even had one since.

Zack said at it might have something to do with the shock of everything that happened.  I've gotten over the shock now, though, so I don't know what was happening with me.

And also, apparently Owen had snuck away one day before the attack to take care of some legal things...because after a few days after, there was a lawyer at the door to the house.  Owen had left everything to me.  The house, the cars, the ability to access his trust fund from his parents...everything. 

No one was surprise when the lawyer told me, but I was.  I didn't know what I would do with it so I hadn't done anything. 

The day we went back to school after Christmas break, Variel woke me up in Owen's room like she always did.  She never completely changed her hair color anymore, just put a few streaks here and there through her naturally dark brown hair.  She said that she hadn't felt the need to go crazy with it in a while.

"Good morning," she said, sitting down on the bed beside me.

"Morning," I said, sitting up.  Owen's shirt hung loosely on me, even more so than it did the first night.  I'd lost a little weight...well, maybe more than a little.

She sighed, looking down at me.  "Are you ready for school?" she asked.

I shook my head.  "No," I said.  "Why can't we all just home school our last semester?"

She smiled slightly.  "That's exactly the reason," she said.  "It's our last semester.  We should be enjoying the almost freedom."

"I can't when he's not here," I said, clutching the sheets in my hands.